MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Your "MyBB Experience"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2012-08-04, 04:31 PM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen people (not naming names) whose profile states "Advanced" or "Guru", yet they struggle with the basics, so I doubt there's a set standard between Novice or Advanced. But if there was, it would probably go at least a little something like this.

Beginner
- Knows what MyBB is
- Knows what to do with it

Novice
- Very familiar with the front-end of mybb forums
- Knows their way around the back-end as well
- Can edit templates without having to look up guides or tutorials
- Knows how to upload a MyBB forum, themes, plugins, etc.
- Moderately experienced with moderating tools

Advanced
- Has a working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Can edit PHP codes without messing up
- Experienced in moderating a mybb forum
- Has an active forum
- Created a few plugins
- Knows the CP like the back of their hand

Guru
- Runs a successful forum
- Makes amazing plugins
- Looked upto as an actual "Guru"

These are just my thoughts and opinions. I don't think you would need to fulfill all the criteria in the list, but at least a majority would be good. What do you guys say?
If these were even partly good criteria for judging those silly terms, then I might just make it to "Advanced" in a couple of months or so. Toungue

Why is the Guru status only limited to plugin developers? What about us CSS droolin' ninjas?
Guru status doesn't necessarily has to own a successful forum. It's more like a successful dev. Advanced can be considered to have running a pretty big board and along with coding some plugins or maybe editing PHP fluently.
I thought of that. But Gurus should generally be experts in some way of the other. Either managing communities, making plugins, designing themes, etc. Either ways, those were just some ideas on what the different "levels of expertise" could be defined as. Doubt they'll be perfect for actual use.
Does any actual "Guru" cares about that field anyways?
(2012-08-07, 10:21 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]Does any actual "Guru" cares about that field anyways?

I think any "Guru" has already been spotted by the community, and those people dont need that box to confirm that i think.
Then again the person i see most as Guru (outside devs etc.) has "advanced" in his experience thingie.
* Leefish goes and trawls all the "known" users...

1 euro says its BradT
2 euro says its not Toungue
* Leefish ponders
* anori gives a hint

The person hasnt posted in this thread.
Tomm? Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4