MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum is not active, no new members, please help :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-08-14, 06:11 AM)newbieforlife Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-14, 06:01 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Nah, me and most of the Facebook group for my program used various other services for these things. Facebooks is nice, but private rooms with no logs are much better for quiz taking.

Do you mean that by using the board, they can cheat on the quiz by using and chatting on their phone? Could be nice, but I don`t get what you mean ?

Oh no. A lot of schools have online quizes on blackboard or whatever system they use. Most people just post the answers once or do it together.
(2012-08-14, 06:20 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-14, 06:11 AM)newbieforlife Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-14, 06:01 AM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Nah, me and most of the Facebook group for my program used various other services for these things. Facebooks is nice, but private rooms with no logs are much better for quiz taking.

Do you mean that by using the board, they can cheat on the quiz by using and chatting on their phone? Could be nice, but I don`t get what you mean ?

Oh no. A lot of schools have online quizes on blackboard or whatever system they use. Most people just post the answers once or do it together.

Yes, this should definitely work as I even do it with a group sometimes. But, how do I provide them this kind of service? Should I just tell them to add each other as friends and start chatting on the board? I was also thinking to create a "Cheating" category where only members can see. I was going to make a list and get other member list profs that ask directly from testbanks. What do you think of that?

Also, what would you have wanted to see in such a board, when you were student? I really appreciate your help. I would definitely pay anyone back that gives me such great feedbacks.
(2012-08-14, 05:45 AM)newbieforlife Wrote: [ -> ]@leefish Why do you think getting student council behind my back will get new members and get them active in the board? I really do not think so. To me as a student, I could care less about what school council think.. What other ideas you get ? My board is not about SEO, so it is hard in that sense. I just need to find smt to attract students..

I thought your problem was that you had spammed a load of people on their facebook, especially the student council. I think it is good manners to apologise that is all and if you did that they might help you. In the current situation (if I was the council) I would not help you at all, so that is a lost opportunity to get members.

SEO is not important I agree, but what you need (as always) is content and a start up member base. Nobody wants to be a member of an empty board with no activity and only the admin posting.

Ask yourself: What is my forum offering that students want? What is the purpose of my forum? That is a good start point.
Would you guys be so kind to answer that question of Leefish? Really appreciate it.

What is this forum offering that I as a college student want?
Then honestly, why create a forum when you did not plan out how you're going to get members or promote the site? Makes no sense to me.
You should have started off at your own college and then spread out the site from there. Planned out lots of interesting features based on social interaction and profile customization. I heard college peeps love that.
(2012-08-14, 07:45 AM)BlackChaos Wrote: [ -> ]Then honestly, why create a forum when you did not plan out how you're going to get members or promote the site? Makes no sense to me.
You should have started off at your own college and then spread out the site from there. Planned out lots of interesting features based on social interaction and profile customization. I heard college peeps love that.

I started off at my own college. You should read my first post..I did not quite get what you meant by lots of interesting features..
(2012-08-14, 07:38 AM)newbieforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Would you guys be so kind to answer that question of Leefish? Really appreciate it.

Um, please re read my post. Ask YOURSELF that question.
(2012-08-14, 08:24 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-08-14, 07:38 AM)newbieforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Would you guys be so kind to answer that question of Leefish? Really appreciate it.

Um, please re read my post. Ask YOURSELF that question.

You know what Leefish, I actually did and got some answers. But, there is something that I am so scared of, that board will be empty for some time, and people will not be willing to make the first post. How do you think I can solve this problem ?

Let`s say, I got 10 forums and 5 threads each, how will I make it look like the board is active?

Appreciate every word you write!
Lol, I'd like to see how the cheating section goes down. xD
(2012-08-14, 08:42 AM)newbieforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Let`s say, I got 10 forums and 5 threads each, how will I make it look like the board is active?

Appreciate every word you write!

I have no idea. It is a very long time since I was a student - we did not even have personal computers then.

I would suggest that you get some content rather than trying to make a tiny amount of content look like it is more than it is.

Get some friends and get them posting with you, and like I said, think about what you are going to have on the board. I cannot help with WHAT you put on the board as I am a little old lady and know nothing about student life of today.
Pages: 1 2 3