MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Downgrade to 1.4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

I have MyBB 1.6.5 right now, and I want to downgrade to 1.4.. Is this possible?

The reason being that I want to purchase a vBulletin license and import my forum on vBulletin, but their importer only supports 1.4.. :\
Pretty sure there's no way to downgrade. But, there aren't Mybb importers to transfer from Vbuletin to Mybb?

If you want to transfer TO Vbulletin you're on your own buddy.
(2012-08-15, 05:55 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure there's no way to downgrade. But, there aren't Mybb importers to transfer from Vbuletin to Mybb?

If you want to transfer TO Vbulletin you're on your own buddy.

This. We're not going to provide you without support for leaving our platform.
Disagree with that. That's not very professional in my opinion. The OP wants to use a different platform, so be it. A professional approach would be for staff to assist this member with the downgrade, regardless of what platform they want to use. It's like a kid saying "if you don't buy sweets in my daddys shop I won't be your friend".

Take a domain registrar for example, if you decide to move to a new registrar they have no problems assisting you with the transfer. Because maybe, one day you'll remember that registrar for being courteous to the end and maybe register another domain with them at some point.

What good will it do MyBB by denying this user support ? If anything this user will remember MyBB for NOT providing them with support. If you want to give MyBB some bad press, this is certainly one way to do it.

After all the support request is to downgrade to 1.4. Support should be provided for that regardless. The transfer from 1.4 to VB I agree, he's on his own with that part of the process.
The user is not denied support, we just
A) Have no way of downgrading
B) Think vBulletin support would be the better ones to contact, mostly about upgrading their script.
Frank - It's up to the other software to support them & keep their conversions up to date. If they're going to bother buying the over-priced crap, Vbulletin might as well updated their convertors. And, I'm sure they'd be happy to provide support. Mybb is volunteer, and don't want to waste their time with this.
I'll throw my 2 bits worth in here... Frank, You are not in trouble.

(2012-08-15, 11:11 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree with that. That's not very professional in my opinion. The OP wants to use a different platform, so be it. A professional approach would be for staff to assist this member with the downgrade, regardless of what platform they want to use. It's like a kid saying "if you don't buy sweets in my daddys shop I won't be your friend".

I fully concur. Grow up people. Sometimes, VBulletin fits the needs better than MyBB. It is a CMS, and can be used as such or as a forum only if the user sees fit.

MyBB is, Lets face it, Very limited in it's bare form. It takes 40 plugins to do what you want it to do, and why is that, Exactly? Please tell me.

(2012-08-15, 11:11 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]What good will it do MyBB by denying this user support ? If anything this user will remember MyBB for NOT providing them with support. If you want to give MyBB some bad press, this is certainly one way to do it.

Immaturity and Unprofessionalism certainly gives this approach, Doesn't it, Frank?

(2012-08-15, 11:11 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]After all the support request is to downgrade to 1.4. Support should be provided for that regardless. The transfer from 1.4 to VB I agree, he's on his own with that part of the process.

Again, I agree. However, at a MyBB level, He is asking for downgrade support.
I just think the support should be provided to downgrade to 1.4, if possible. The process from 1.4 to VB is then VB support.
Bcousins - Vbulletin is bloated, overpriced, and crap. Anything you want to do can be done with plugins. Mybb is kept lightweight and customizable (though I hate the way their code is organized), and hence all the plugins. True, sometimes it just doesn't work. But, a good plugin dev could fix that.

And it's not immature, they're supporting their own software. Vbulletin needs to update their conversions and give their new customer support, not Mybb.
(2012-08-15, 11:18 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]I just think the support should be provided to downgrade to 1.4, if possible. The process from 1.4 to VB is then VB support.

THIS was the point I was making, Kolton T.
Pages: 1 2