MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Increase of spam bots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There has been a drastic increase of spam bots registering and posting on my forum in the past couple of days. Since I started the forum back in April, Registration Security Questions and reCAPTCHA prevented the spam bots from joining but in the last couple of days they seem to be doing close to nothing.

Is there any specific reason this could be happening now, and what are some other things I can do to prevent them from registering and posting? It's getting kind of annoying now having to delete 10+ accounts every day, if not every couple of hours.
thats in need of robot.txt. And just a tip. Go to your cpanel and deny or ban the ip of that bot
What do you mean "thats in need of robot.txt"?
I just registered for the exact same reason! Major increase of spambots the past 1-2 weeks. I tried the stopforumspam plugin but it's half useless, half too strict and blocks legitimate registrations.

Any solution?
Use Security Question to nail spam bots at registration and Spamalyser for human spammers who make it through the security question. For me, reduced spam to roughly zero.
(2012-08-22, 05:27 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Use Security Question to nail spam bots at registration and Spamalyser for human spammers who make it through the security question. For me, reduced spam to roughly zero.

Same here. Awesome combo.
Another big +1 for spamalyser here. If you're struggling with spam at all, give it a whirl and i can guarantee you'll see the effects pretty damn quickly.

As for why the amount of spam has increased, spam is ever increasing it seems and if you're forum's gaining popularity then you're more likely to get hit.
(2012-08-22, 05:46 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Another big +1 for spamalyser here. If you're struggling with spam at all, give it a whirl and i can guarantee you'll see the effects pretty damn quickly.

As for why the amount of spam has increased, spam is ever increasing it seems and if you're forum's gaining popularity then you're more likely to get hit.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's growing in popularity, but it is somewhat slowly getting more active so I suppose that could be why... Anyways, I appreciate all of the helpful comments guys, I'm going to give spamalyser a try and hopefully that takes care of it all so I don't have to continually delete accounts.
Spamalyser doesn't stop registrations. Use security question for that.
Could someone provide links to "Spamalyzer" and "Security Question"? I've googled but am coming empty handed.
Pages: 1 2