MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 or stay back on 1.*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2012-10-10, 01:16 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I can count the number of features I feel MyBB is truly missing on one hand, so I'm not in a rush to redo my whole site for a new software.

I'm in the same boat.
WTGP that's how I would take it. He feels that MyBB is only missing a few larger features (you can easily find what they are by looking at his posts).
(2012-10-10, 02:58 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]Staying on topic... You guys are saying that 2.0 will compete with the larger brands, are you worried that by the time you release it that'll change? I don't really keep up with every one else so I'm not sure if they have big plans for changes Toungue

Yes, but because 2.0 is still early in development, we can accommodate any changes in other softwares and incorporate features that are more "with the times". Thats the advantage of a rewrite. MyBB doesn't have to worry about how it will fit in with the old 1.x codebase, because 2.0 can accommodate almost anything! Big Grin
(2012-10-10, 01:16 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I can count the number of features I feel MyBB is truly missing on one hand, so I'm not in a rush to redo my whole site for a new software.

I can think of more than 5 but none that I can't just code eventually into plugins. So unless 2.0 is incredible it's likely HF will remain on 1.8x branch for some time.
(2012-10-10, 02:58 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-10, 01:16 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I can count the number of features I feel MyBB is truly missing on one hand

I've never never heard any one say that before... does that mean MyBB is only missing five or less features?

In terms of minor improvements, there are a lot of things that can be done, but if we're talking about key features:
  • native mobile and touch support
  • threaded PMing
  • notifications
  • better profile system

Those are the things that occur to me as serious weak points of the software. Obviously depending on what you do with MyBB your experience may differ. As Labrocca said, a lot can be addressed with plugins, too.

If xThreads or some equivalent never makes it to 2.0, it will be a big problem for me.
The ability to modify sections based on a separate layout is a BIG requirement for me - if XThreads does not run on 1.8 then I will be staying on 1.6. Sad
As said before, MyBB 1.8 shouldn't break plugins, but themes may have a few edits due to jQuery.
I wouldn't be surprised many people stay in 1.6 far much after 1.8 is released, the same for 1.8 => 2.0.

I mean, who run and install a new update of their software without double checking if it will still works for they? Probably many for minor updates (ie. Photoshop 1.x => Photoshop 1.x), but I doubt it for big updates (ie. Photoshop 1 => Photoshop 2).
(2012-10-10, 03:23 PM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-10-10, 02:58 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]Staying on topic... You guys are saying that 2.0 will compete with the larger brands, are you worried that by the time you release it that'll change? I don't really keep up with every one else so I'm not sure if they have big plans for changes Toungue

Yes, but because 2.0 is still early in development, we can accommodate any changes in other softwares and incorporate features that are more "with the times". Thats the advantage of a rewrite. MyBB doesn't have to worry about how it will fit in with the old 1.x codebase, because 2.0 can accommodate almost anything! Big Grin

Ah, well that makes a lot of sense.
(2012-10-10, 07:52 PM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't be surprised many people stay in 1.6 far much after 1.8 is released, the same for 1.8 => 2.0.

I mean, who run and install a new update of their software without double checking if it will still works for they? Probably many for minor updates (ie. Photoshop 1.x => Photoshop 1.x), but I doubt it for big updates (ie. Photoshop 1 => Photoshop 2).

Yeah but if 2.0 is a complete rewrite then custom themes would need to be rewritten or might require major updates. Hopefully our plugins won't need to be updated too I mean off course plugins need to be updated after every version released by MyBB but do they need to be completely re-written?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5