MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2.0 or stay back on 1.*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well, right now I would be pleased to see 1.6.9. Reading on the issues tracker it looks like there will be some significant performance increases, so that is good news.

1.8 next - so a long time until 2.0 I think, certainly too far in the future to say it will look like X or have feature Y...
According to me each version is about 4+ months unless they have to patch a vuln they do release it quicker. So lets just say 4 more months on 1.6.8 then 8 more months on 1.8 so we have a good year.
1.8 isn't necessarily going to come out as the next release after 1.6.9. The 1.4.x series went to 1.4.16.
I wonder if 1.8 will come out this year ... doesn't seem likely.
The alpha release will hopefully be out in the next week or two... we will be opening up GitHub so people can see what we've done so far, as well as have the ability to contribute themselves. This will not be recommended for live sites. After we add most features, including jQuery, we will start the beta phase, where we'll iron out all the bugs. I would look for a 1.8 full release early next year when it's ready. Toungue
(2012-10-20, 05:38 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]The alpha release will hopefully be out in the next week or two... we will be opening up GitHub so people can see what we've done so far, as well as have the ability to contribute themselves. This will not be recommended for live sites. After we add most features, including jQuery, we will start the beta phase, where we'll iron out all the bugs. I would look for a 1.8 full release early next year when it's ready. Toungue

I've heard that before. Toungue (No hurt intended, just saying it's always better to go by the last lines)
(2012-10-20, 05:22 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]1.8 isn't necessarily going to come out as the next release after 1.6.9. The 1.4.x series went to 1.4.16.

I have been wondering that for a while now.

Why dont you for hotfixes use x.x.x(number)
That would greatly increase the amount of numbers you have available.

Also then it would be clearer which are really important updates.

1.1.1.1 = hotfix
1.1.2 = small update
1.2 = big update/beta

I dont think 1.8 will be released this year.. seeing as its almost november and in the december month i dont expect them to do much work on 1.8 Toungue

Hopefully we will get a release before the summer of 2013 Smile

OT:
I will upgrade to 1.8 but not sure yet about 2.0, upgrading to 2.0 for me would mean at least wait a considerable amount of time. Before a lot of plugins would be updated. And the release is stable (most major releases always have issues even with huge amounts of testing)
Justin's work on the 1.8 theme has been completed. It's just up to me to merge it into the main 1.8 branch and open it to the public. This alpha version, as Paul mentions, is more of a preview and we're hoping others will help us make the next version of MyBB. I'm hoping to finish this work by November.

It will be a while before it is stable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5