MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is IE possibly starting to outpace other browsers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Alright, so I read this post on Forrst and thought it would be fun to take a shot at. I decided I could probably do it with pseudo elements (:before and :after) and came up with this. The code seemed fine, and I figured everything aside from greyscale would work in all major browsers. But when I went to check it in Chrome (My default browser), none of the transitions worked. So I read up on it and apparently the bug report has been open for it since around the middle of 2011 (Not being able to transition pseudo elements). So I went to IE10 (Just curious) and the transitions worked perfectly.

So basically what I'm wondering is do you think Microsoft has realized what they did wrong in previous versions of IE and are changing that?

I personally think I might start using IE10 soon if it's got support for new CSS before other major browsers, especially Chrome. Lack of a debugging tool (?) is the only reason I wouldn't use it.
I wouldn't really say this is news. Microsoft is just finally making an effort to being a front-runner in the browser world again. There is always a browser that does something better than another (and vice versa with the same browsers on a different feature).
Yeah, just judging by the Win8 'hate' thread it doesn't seem many users have access to IE10, so I figured they wouldn't know it was actually supporting things for once. xD
Well you have to remember at one time IE was good enough to basically destroy Netscape (which was eventually branched off into firefox). But, then MS got lazy because no one said they had to do better (but now that HTML5 and CSS3 are getting some real backing (both from communities and the W3C)) they are stepping up again).
Yeah, I'm just more wondering why other companies aren't feeling at least a little awkward that IE is doing better than them (With issues related to compatibility in the two most essential languages for them). I mean, http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues...l?id=54699 that's just crazy. And I was wrong about the date as well, it's been there since September, 2010.
Quote:Is IE possibly starting to outpace other browsers?

Yes, right. Rolleyes

(Toungue)

Quote:So basically what I'm wondering is do you think Microsoft has realized what they did wrong in previous versions of IE and are changing that?

Yes, they did (unfortunately too late) and hopefully will never forget.
Joke at it all you'd like, it seems like it's happening. If they had themes and plugins like FF and Chrome I think they'd be taken a lot more seriously (As their code is obviously up to par).
I think the only reason IE was so bad for so long is because it could be. Until these last few years IE was still the most used browser by leaps and bounds around the world. Their logic was probably don't fix what isn't broken Toungue. Now that they realize it was broken it's time to fix it.
(2012-10-21, 02:57 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Until these last few years IE was still the most used browser by leaps and bounds around the world.

Probably because it ships with Windows machines by default - like Safari with Macs.
All that means it would be easier for people to download alternatives as well. While I understand your point I left IE as soon as I discovered FireFox and recommended it to everyone I knew.
Pages: 1 2