MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CSS3 and HTML5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
While 'standard' CSS3 may be used, such as rounded corners etc, things like gradients are still being made by image overlays in our mock ups. The big decision will come if, in a few year's time, support for the likes of IE 8 has dropped enough to 'cut out' these users.

I would probably set the bar for usability in IE 8 as a minimum.
@Tomm: gradients can be used by IE 8 using IE's filter property and a .gradient class for IE9. Just sayin'.
Yeah but I said usability, not compatibility - just because it can be used doesn't mean it should. If it were me, I would leave out all proprietary syntax from all stylesheets (including browser prefixes).
Fair enough I guess. Browser prefixes can be fairly annoying.
Yeah, would be nice if we got something like {border-radius}: ; that automatically includes all of them. :3
Honestly, if you still think HTML5 and CSS3 shouldn't be used (or in this case, should be used in 2.0) then you have no idea what's going on and to the web. The spec isn't finished, but the web is changing RIGHT NOW. Mobile is exploding. Tablets are changing internet browsing. Desktop? Will likely be dead in a couple of years, at least for most people. And within these categories, there are different viewports, pixel densities and all sorts of things. It's not just 1024x768 monitors anymore people.

Because of this there are a variety of issues that need to be addressed. One simple example is gradients. A lot of people currently create a 1px wide image and repeat it with CSS. This is fine I guess, but it creates unnecessary HTTP requests for the end user. Why download assets for a gradient when you can do it in the browser with native CSS? On a mobile phone with limited bandwidth this can make a significant difference. Bear in mind this is a simple example, the point I'm trying to make is that HTML5 and CSS3 tackle things like this in many areas, ultimately creating a better experience for the user.

You have to implement HTML5 and CSS3 right now if you want to target such variety of devices optimally - which if you don't want to, then you either have a very specific niche or you're ignorant. The good thing is, 2.0 is years apart. So none of this is even relevant because HTML5 and CSS3 should be far more developed by the time we start seriously investigating the matter. In fact, quite recently the W3C announced that the HTML5 ratification is due 2014. I think by then we should have made considerable progress in 2.0 and as such we will be able to use all of the things HTML5 and CSS3 have to offer. Smile
(2012-10-22, 09:41 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, if you still think HTML5 and CSS3 shouldn't be used (or in this case, should be used in 2.0) then you have no idea what's going on and to the web. The spec isn't finished, but the web is changing RIGHT NOW. Mobile is exploding. Tablets are changing internet browsing. Desktop? Will likely be dead in a couple of years, at least for most people. And within these categories, there are different viewports, pixel densities and all sorts of things. It's not just 1024x768 monitors anymore people.

Because of this there are a variety of issues that need to be addressed. One simple example is gradients. A lot of people currently create a 1px wide image and repeat it with CSS. This is fine I guess, but it creates unnecessary HTTP requests for the end user. Why download assets for a gradient when you can do it in the browser with native CSS? On a mobile phone with limited bandwidth this can make a significant difference. Bear in mind this is a simple example, the point I'm trying to make is that HTML5 and CSS3 tackle things like this in many areas, ultimately creating a better experience for the user.

You have to implement HTML5 and CSS3 right now if you want to target such variety of devices optimally - which if you don't want to, then you either have a very specific niche or you're ignorant. The good thing is, 2.0 is years apart. So none of this is even relevant because HTML5 and CSS3 should be far more developed by the time we start seriously investigating the matter. In fact, quite recently the W3C announced that the HTML5 ratification is due 2014. I think by then we should have made considerable progress in 2.0 and as such we will be able to use all of the things HTML5 and CSS3 have to offer. Smile

I agree with this completely. Even a quick look at ThemeForest shows responsive as the top purchased by a landslide. Everything is moving to tablets and mobile, and due to that people are actually getting a better browsing experience. Only if new technologies are adapted at least.

But yeah, by the time 2.0 comes around hopefully the decision is painfully obvious.
(2012-10-22, 11:09 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]But yeah, by the time 2.0 comes around hopefully the decision is painfully obvious.
We should absolutely be using CSS3 and HTML5 for MyBB. We should be delivering the best experience we can in every browser and whilst browser prefixes are a bit nasty they open up whole new avenues which can add significant value to the user.

"Dumbing down" to support old browsers beyond basic functionality and usability is madness. How are people ever going to upgrade the browsers if we continue to strive for consistency across all old browsers. We should be saying "we support your browser to the most basic level, but look, if you use our forum software on a shiny modern browser, look how much nicer and usable it is".
seems like it would be much easier to have a basic theme and an advanced theme set. then in init.php (or the equivalent in 2.0) simply switch to the basic theme based on user agent. Its not 100% foolproof as you can spoof agents, but that is on the user.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5