MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CSS3 and HTML5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
You know there is a lot more to HTML5 and CSS3 than rounded corners and some semantic mark up right? And, hell border-radius is still using prefixes for some reason even though it's obviously one of the most agreed upon features.
I thought most browsers supported border-radius without prefixing nowadays? That's what prefixr says anyway (I'm lazy and just let it handle my prefixes via CTRL + ALS + X).

Re: HTML5 being more than semantics. Completely true. How much of the spec will MyBB really use though? I don't see us needing the geolocation API or any of that stuff...
(2012-10-28, 11:09 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Re: HTML5 being more than semantics. Completely true. How much of the spec will MyBB really use though? I don't see us needing the geolocation API or any of that stuff...

Exactly what I have been trying to say.
I just thought I'd pop in and say that HTML5 (as well as the canvas specification) is now feature complete and the W3C is basically just fine tuning performance issues and testing things. This essentially means that it is now safe for browsers to implement all of what HTML5 has to offer, since nothing else will be added to the specification. The actual recommendation status will only take effect in 2014, as it had already been announced.

http://www.w3.org/News/2012#entry-9667

In other words, you can no longer argue that HTML5 isn't ready. Because it is. And it's a much needed technology because of the vast diversity of devices we have today, and the growth of such diversity is not stopping here.
(2012-12-20, 08:42 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I just thought I'd pop in and say that HTML5 (as well as the canvas specification) is now feature complete and the W3C is basically just fine tuning performance issues and testing things. This essentially means that it is now safe for browsers to implement all of what HTML5 has to offer, since nothing else will be added to the specification. The actual recommendation status will only take effect in 2014, as it had already been announced.

http://www.w3.org/News/2012#entry-9667

In other words, you can no longer argue that HTML5 isn't ready. Because it is. And it's a much needed technology because of the vast diversity of devices we have today, and the growth of such diversity is not stopping here.

With 2.0 probably early / mid 2015 it should give them enough time to work on html5 support.
On one side we had worries about visitors which forced us to reject new technologies
and implement old rusty stuff with tons of images for buttons, corners and everything else,
bloated fixes for multiple buged browsers. On other side there was cool, shiny, lite, easy to use,
new technologies, with round corners, gradients, one css version file for all browsers,
and all the rest.
From time i tried all these things i had feeling like im prisoner of old rusty technology,
which limits me, looking with jealousy at side where all new stuff was.
...So, i monitored trends, usage of browsers, screen resolutions, technologies, more often.

If you look at W3C trends (or similar) and browse history of it, you will see that - its not true that people
still use crapy computers, low resolution, old browsers as we still believe.
80% are firefox and chrome. Remaining 15% owned by IE is not really old IE 7 or 8
as everyone would expect. IE 7 (1%) and 8 (7%) is faling down in light speed
along with windows XP which everyone drop like sinking ship after apearance of Windows 7.
I assume that the time when practicaly 95% of people use modern browsers - is now.
And the ones who still use 'windows 95' with same outdated technology even while
they have cool modern browsers within easy reach for completly free, cant be helped.
Because of this, i made myself free. At least !!
I assume now that everyone have decent browsers, therefore i no more play with fixes
and all that bloated stuff. I have fun with css3, rounded corners, gradient imageless buttons,
and the rest 'basic stuff' (maybe still avoiding things like 3D transforms and similar,
but theyre not really necessary yet)
I know that someone with IE 7 visiting my site would 'broke his eye'
so i simply detect in my sites anything that is below 'Mozilla/5.0' and redirect it to page
where they are asked to update browsers.
Im no more prisoner of old browsers. The time is now.
And hey, arent it end of the world ? ...then new beggining without chains.
Those are stats from people visiting W3C, not representative of the internet as a whole.
Oh, W3C provides global stats not based on his own site visitors -> here
That's fine. But those stats aren't even close to W3C's.

I agree with your conclusions, but you should make them based on correct data.
I fixed link in my previous post to W3C stats which are global stats and arent based on W3C website visits.
Quote:I agree with your conclusions, but you should make them based on correct data.
Even if im a little too much optimistic, I feel better with it, plus someone must at least do this,
We cant wait without end until someone who use 'windows 95' die along with his computer,
because he just dont want to change it no matter what.
There is new technology, and its not even any beta prototype but something normal
that is around for long time - its free and available to anyone who want it. I want it ! <3
Long time a go there was something like 'best viewed on browser X' now its 'update your browser to view this site'
I not ask for much - firefox or chrome are free.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5