MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Locked out of admin permissions [urgent]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Setting myself to a developer group with secondary group of root admin locked me out of being able to edit admin permissions, which was something the root admin group could do so I thought adding it as a secondary group would give me the allowances of both groups....

when I switched to the main admin account though, it too was locked out. As is everyone.

I need to undo this. How do I alter the php files to allow an account into the admin permissions again? this is dire, thank you.
(2012-11-16, 11:09 AM)WitherBones Wrote: [ -> ]Setting myself to a developer group with secondary group of root admin locked me out of being able to edit admin permissions, which was something the root admin group could do so I thought adding it as a secondary group would give me the allowances of both groups....

when I switched to the main admin account though, it too was locked out. As is everyone.

I need to undo this. How do I alter the php files to allow an account into the admin permissions again? this is dire, thank you.

Try this query to set the primary group to admin again.

UPDATE mybb_users SET usergroup = 4 WHERE uid = 1;

Replace 1 with your uid if it is not 1. And replace mybb_ with whatever prefix if you are using a custom one for your db tables.
(2012-11-16, 12:55 PM)borbole Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-16, 11:09 AM)WitherBones Wrote: [ -> ]Setting myself to a developer group with secondary group of root admin locked me out of being able to edit admin permissions, which was something the root admin group could do so I thought adding it as a secondary group would give me the allowances of both groups....

Try this query to set the primary group to admin again.

UPDATE mybb_users SET usergroup = 4 WHERE uid = 1;

Replace 1 with your uid if it is not 1. And replace mybb_ with whatever prefix if you are using a custom one for your db tables.

This will work only if group id of admin has changed right? Im too not sure of it.
It looked that way to me by reading the OP. However running that query won''t harm anything. It will simply reset his gid back to admin in the event that it had been changed.

Or if the gid hasn''t changed but somehow can not access the acp try this other query:

UPDATE mybb_usergroups SET cancp = 1 WHERE gid = 4
which php file is this I should be editing?

Thank you :3
(2012-11-17, 02:51 PM)WitherBones Wrote: [ -> ]which php file is this I should be editing?

Thank you :3

It's not a file, if you have cPanel with your hosting, open "PHPMyAdmin" or another SQL viewer. Open the MyBB database and run the query/queries.

If you don't understand what I mean, reply and I'll give you a more detailed explanation.

Regards
okay, I understand now. I wasn't sure what query meant at first.

I don't speak MySQL, but I know words like "dog" and "my husband is a police"

okay so I downloaded Wamp Server 2, and from there I'm stuck. How do I access my localhost or log in?? I guess my brain has the dumb with this. I'm being hosted, so I didn't have to mess with any of this stuff before hand, and I've never had to use this service. I just installed Wamp Server, and from there I'm stuck. My local host goes to nothing, I don't get the menu all the tutorials are showing me.... I don't understand what it is I should be doing that they aren't telling me?

Also, I've read over the posts and the issue isn't that the admin group id got changed or that it can't access the admin panel...it's the admin permissions where you alter what group can do what in the admin panel. Somehow, though I only edited it for one group, ALL groups can no longer alter these admin permissions, and this is something I need to be able to do. That is my issue. Allowing my access to the admin panel (which I already have) or resetting the group id to 1 (which it is, and always has been) will do nothing, as far as I know.
If you still didn't got it, reply or pm me, will do it...
(2012-11-17, 03:21 PM)WitherBones Wrote: [ -> ]okay, I understand now. I wasn't sure what query meant at first.

I don't speak MySQL, but I know words like "dog" and "my husband is a police"

okay so I downloaded Wamp Server 2, and from there I'm stuck. How do I access my localhost or log in?? I guess my brain has the dumb with this. I'm being hosted, so I didn't have to mess with any of this stuff before hand, and I've never had to use this service. I just installed Wamp Server, and from there I'm stuck. My local host goes to nothing, I don't get the menu all the tutorials are showing me.... I don't understand what it is I should be doing that they aren't telling me?

Also, I've read over the posts and the issue isn't that the admin group id got changed or that it can't access the admin panel...it's the admin permissions where you alter what group can do what in the admin panel. Somehow, though I only edited it for one group, ALL groups can no longer alter these admin permissions, and this is something I need to be able to do. That is my issue. Allowing my access to the admin panel (which I already have) or resetting the group id to 1 (which it is, and always has been) will do nothing, as far as I know.

If you log in to your host 's cp there should be a link to phpmyadmin which most hosts use. Click it, select the db name that you used to install your mybb forum and at the SQL tab there copy/paste the query I posted above and you should be all set.
okay....my host's cp for what and where? cp = control panel? My user control panel, my admin panel on site, my ftw control panel, the control panel for Wamp Server that's blank and doesn't show anything? There are lot's of cps and I'm not sure which one you're talking about. I'm new to this, and I need everyone to be as specific as possible or else each step is just going to get nothing done and give me five more questions to ask.

Also, I didn't install any of this. My host did. She had her site, and I use a subdomain of it. I didn't install ANYTHING. I access the site, what I can do from there, and my ftp files through file zilla. I tried downloading Wamp Server but localhost just renders a blank screen, and not what the tutorials show at ALL, I don't know how to access mySQL, or phpMyAdmin at all, I don't even know if I had to download these seperately, put something inside the folders to make it work and when they say "your php files need to be installed" I'm completely confused as to what php files, all of them, and if I need to hand pick through my ftp files for every php files and install them, or if it's okay to install ALL of my ftp files or what. I've never used them and I'm completely confused, and nothing I've read here or anywhere else has helped me at all, because I guess I'm the first person to ever encounter these kinds of problems??
Pages: 1 2