MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to transfer MyBB installation with a ton of plugins into a new install?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The issue:
I've made a mess of an older MyBB install with an established user base and want to create a new install on a different host but still have everything work/appear as if nothing happened.

The facts:
  • currently MyBB 1.6.8 on Linux with MySQL and wish to transfer to similar sever but with better performance/uptime and better PHP settings (128MB php file size limit instead of just 10MB).
  • Using the following plugins:
    1. tapatalk
    2. Admin CP Honeypot
    3. Advanced Quick Reply Form
    4. Advanced MyCode Permissions
    5. Default Avatar
    6. Donation Page
    7. Forum Icons
    8. Game Section
    9. Google SEO
    10. Its My Birthday!
    11. Mods Cant Edit Admins Posts
    12. ModNotice Plus
    13. My Ad Manager
    14. My Awards
    15. MyBBpublisher
    16. MySupport
    17. OUGC Show Forum Rules
    18. Patches
    19. Private Messages Admin
    20. Advanced Rainbow Colors For All Links
    21. SCD Hide From Groups (Free SCD Plugin)
    22. Sig Image Size
    23. Staff Online
    24. Undo Delete
    25. Who download this attachment
  • I don't know how to transfer all admin cp settings as well as plugin settings to the new installation
  • I've went through testing so many different plugins and there's so many left over files every where that I don't know what's what and I want my new setup lean and mean by only having the files that it's supposed to but look and operate like nothing changed

From testing I can see my transfer attempts are not perfect.. many of the plugins like "who download this attachment" reset ie records of who downloaded a file on a thread completely disappear even though download count is correct.. so what other files do I need to copy over besides just the MySQL database for my situation?
Thank you crazy4cs, but if I disable all plugins a lot of the settings and records will be lost.
I also want to transfer into a fresh install (which happens to be on a better host). So isn't that a little bit a different process from what I'm actually wanting to do?

in other words.. I need all the plugins settings and caches transferred over as well.
Disabling plugins isn't necessary. That's just a precautionary measure. Just do a full backup of data first and your changes won't be lost.

Here's few simple steps:

1. Do full backup of files including database.
2. Create new database in new hosting.
3. Upload all the files and folders to new host via FTP.
4. Upload the SQL database dump in the new hosting database which we just created in step 2.
5. Go to inc/config.php and change database connection details there with your new host's details.
6. Should be done now.
There's just one caviat... if I've installed and uninstalled maybe over 50 plugins to try them out... and so I have a mess of files that I'm not sure which ones I need to keep and which ones have got to be deleted... otherwise yes I would just to an exact copy and paste.. making the old database work is not an issue (as I tried to say in my OP) it's just making the plugins I wish to keep work as if nothing happened.

So basically I've a new install with fresh installs of all the plugins (so that way there's no mess) I wish to keep. But then I need to copy over all the old attachment files, plugin folders, etc and when I do so stuff just doesn't work right so there's got to be other files somewhere (maybe cache files?) that I'm supposed to copy over too? Is my situation making sense? I'm not sure if I'm explaining properly.
Do as I said and you should be fine.
But if he does as you say he will carry over all the old rubbish that he wants to get rid of. Or do you mean he copies over all EXCEPT the plugin files and then redownloads those plugins and puts them on his new host?

That is a bit difficult with plugins as they can have files everywhere.
Well, in the OP first he said that he just wants to "move/shift". Not sure he edited the title.
(2012-12-08, 08:10 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]But if he does as you say he will carry over all the old rubbish that he wants to get rid of. Or do you mean he copies over all EXCEPT the plugin files and then redownloads those plugins and puts them on his new host?

That is a bit difficult with plugins as they can have files everywhere.
That is exactly right Leefish. Oh glad to see you are an official support team member now, very cool! Congrats!

@crazy4cs yes I edited the title to try and make this make more sense. I just need to understand how to move the settings for those 25 plugins I'm keeping and all forum attachments.

Edit:
plugin settings, attachments, AND any related cache...
That'd be little difficuilt as the plugins may have created several columns/fields/tables everywhere. Your best bet would be to do what I said, and then prune the things you don't need, for example posts/threads.

Or creating from scratch would be a hard and tedious task.
Pages: 1 2