MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MySpace Redesign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2013-01-02, 10:41 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't matter what OS it is - people will learn to develop for it. Be it popular or not.

Was sort of my point, lol.

I just despise Windows 8 so much Sad!
(2013-01-02, 10:15 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-31, 07:14 PM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Well, among developers too. Lots of people have picked up app developing for Windows 8.

Probably because it's the latest operating system and millions of people would be using it by default? I doubt developers are thinking "Wow, Windows 8 is so perfect, I better go learn to develop apps for it because of how well it runs and stuff".

No, it's because their apps are built with HTML5 / CSS / JS, so people don't have to go learning all these high end, OOP languages to create applications. x.x Fads don't control the world, sometimes there are products that are actually good, even though you don't like them. xP
Persuade me to like Windows 8, I'm interested in your points. Trust me, I want to like it, considering I use my brothers laptop which is using it.
Well, first be open minded. Then try to see how long it takes you to do the same things you did before. For example, opening a program that you open constantly. Personally I lost no functionality between win7 and 8 when it came to opening programs. I could get to search with one click still, and all my programs were there in metro, still one click away like my taskbar in win7.

Then of course there was the huge amount of security and performance updates so the speed and safety of the system was great. And then my favorite part was navigating through apps with just one click (top left corner of the screen to switch between the desktop and chat for example).

So really, I feel that without a loss in functionality or a buggy system, it's an improvement. There are other things I could get all fanboy about (I think metro is sexy), but those don't matter honestly.

Feel free to persuade me to not like it, btw. xP

Edit: aannnnddd I forgot what topic I was even talking in. :facepalm:
Instead of going to start -> control panel, I had to click start and search for it, every single time. On a laptop that is just a pain in the lime. It all seemed rather complicated and unnecessary, but at least it looked good in the process right? The apps are stupid, the Skype app is annoying as hell for example. I like to Skype with some people on my site, and browsing + skyping was redundant. I had to just install Skype to my desktop instead. I literally had no use for the metro at all, which seemed to be the focus point for Windows 8...

I guess we just use the PC for different things. Admittedly I haven't used much of Windows 8 (I raged hard the first time), but it really seemed like with Windows 8 you had to concentrate on finding what you want to do, where as with 7 it's as simple as simple gets and it doesn't interrupt what you're currently doing. That probably makes little sense but YOLO.

The actual design is decent, but the metro just seems like something you could have downloaded as an addon, to make it compulsory was unnecessary. If I wanted to browse like I would on a tablet, I would buy a tablet. It's pretty immature to label me not open minded because I dislike the new operating system among many many other people, I was looking forward to trying it out. You may have not lost functionality, but I certainly have, and that's all I really demand from an OS. If you know me, you know design is probably my least favourite thing in the world.
(2013-01-02, 11:39 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of going to start -> control panel, I had to click start and search for it, every single time. On a laptop that is just a pain in the lime. It all seemed rather complicated and unnecessary, but at least it looked good in the process right? The apps are stupid, the Skype app is annoying as hell for example. I like to Skype with some people on my site, and browsing + skyping was redundant. I had to just install Skype to my desktop instead. I literally had no use for the metro at all, which seemed to be the focus point for Windows 8...

Wait, let me get this straight. You don't like it because you had the option to use a Skype app, with the desktop version still completely available? Anyways I hated the TomTom app on iPhone so of course I would hate iOS as a result.

Also, why not just pin the control panel link to the Metro screen?

(2013-01-02, 11:39 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]I guess we just use the PC for different things. Admittedly I haven't used much of Windows 8 (I raged hard the first time), but it really seemed like with Windows 8 you had to concentrate on finding what you want to do, where as with 7 it's as simple as simple gets and it doesn't interrupt what you're currently doing. That probably makes little sense but YOLO.

Yeah, dunno where you were going with that.

(2013-01-02, 11:39 PM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]The actual design is decent, but the metro just seems like something you could have downloaded as an addon, to make it compulsory was unnecessary. If I wanted to browse like I would on a tablet, I would buy a tablet. It's pretty immature to label me not open minded because I dislike the new operating system among many many other people, I was looking forward to trying it out. You may have not lost functionality, but I certainly have, and that's all I really demand from an OS. If you know me, you know design is probably my least favourite thing in the world.

Not trying to be immature, just saying you'd probably have to be open minded to like Win8. I didn't mean it in a hostile way.

In case you didn't know, you CAN enable the start menu on Windows 8 pretty easily, if it's too much of a learning curve or you just simply don't like using metro.
Still less functional than it was before even if I did pin it, in my opinion anyway. Seems like it's so out of the way, interrupts what I'm doing. Ignoring your first childish analogy for obvious reasons, grow up.

And yeah I ranted immediately about Win 8 on my forum and someone provided this thing you can download to get a much nicer start bar - can't remember what it's called now, been ages since I've used the laptop.
(2013-01-03, 12:31 AM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]Still less functional than it was before even if I did pin it, in my opinion anyway. Seems like it's so out of the way, interrupts what I'm doing. Ignoring your first childish analogy for obvious reasons, grow up.

Just feels like you're avoiding it because it's true. :/ Also childish would have been something along the lines of "That's stupid and you're stupid" most likely.

(2013-01-03, 12:31 AM)Crayo Wrote: [ -> ]And yeah I ranted immediately about Win 8 on my forum and someone provided this thing you can download to get a much nicer start bar - can't remember what it's called now, been ages since I've used the laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERxpbwBt0U
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLhPoLzBJBM

Turn Windows 8 back to Windows 7 with performance updates (More or less).
(2013-01-02, 10:41 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]Android is not perfect, people still learn to develop for it.
Apple OS is not perfect, people still learn to develop for it.
Windows 7 is not perfect, people still learned to develop for it.
Windows Vista was not perfect by a LONG shot, people still learned to develop for it.

Doesn't matter what OS it is - people will learn to develop for it. Be it popular or not.

Frank Barry Wrote:MAC OS IS PURFECT!!!!!!!
I might personally use this once it comes out (or just sign up now for the beta of it). I like the idea, although it seems to just be a "new" social networking site that has combined all of the current ones, and added in a very metro-like theme and style to make it flow easier.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7