MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does any one have a Nexus 7? How is it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking about buying one with my Christmas money (either a Nexus 7, or I'm going to build my own skateboard), but I don't really want to buy it without holding it in my hands first, and since no stores, in my area at least, have one on display it's hard to do that Toungue

So I was wondering if any one here has a Nexus 7 and if they'd recommend it, if it has any problems, and whatnot. And yes, I did read a few reviews of the tablet but I'd really like to hear how it is from a non-technical "Its awesome because I have one and I'm awesome" standpoint.
I don't have one my self, but I do own a tablet and would say that they're pretty much pointless for me personally. All I ever use mine for is to browse the internet. I've tried playing games on it but I'm too used to using actual buttons so it feels really odd. You'll maybe use it a load for the first month but will likely barely touch it after that.

That's just my opinion. I can't quite see the appeal.
I do have a Nexus 7. I pre-ordered one when it was first released. Well, the screen is really beautiful. It's truly HD. However, I have exchanged it for a few times due to minor defectiveness. Since it's a brand new thing, I won't expect it to be perfect Smile It's really good to hold in hand, the size is really good. It depends individually, some people love bigger screen tablet, some people like me prefer a smaller screen. Battery lasts quite long. I monitored the battery myself. It's said to be able to last for 300 hours in standby mode. Mine actually last more than that (I let it stay standby throughout the entire testing period).

But one thing I agreed with euantor, tablets are kind of pointless except browsing the internet. My version is the wifi only version, so haha you know what I mean. But sometimes I use internet tethering from my phone so that I can online using my Nexus 7 while I am outside. I personally love Nexus 7 to surf the internet because it has a much bigger screen that my phone. Regarding games, if you are playing 3rd person shooter games then tablet is not a good one. But if you are just playing games like Word Search or some arcade games like angry bird, then it's fine. Smile

Apparently, my Nexus 7 has two issues. 1st, I need to press the power button for more than 30 seconds to boot it (did research, some said not an issue thus I accepted the fact). 2nd, if my wifi connection is weak, my screen tends to flicker (this is one of the major issue with Nexus 7 1st release). I am not sure if this issue has been addressed in the new Nexus 7 (2nd release).

I hope my opinions help Smile Cheers.
I have one and I have 2 Kindle Fire's as well.

The OS on Nexus is slick, battery life is good, and the overall usage is nice. But I think I actually prefer my Kindle. I'll likely get the next Kindle version. I toyed with a Kindle HD and didn't like it much. OS felt clunky.

On my Nexus the internet drops constantly for no reason btw.

I'm also disappointed that there isn't more quality free apps from Google Play. I think Amazon has done a better job of that imho. Plus lots of apps are Kindle ready vs the ones in Google Play are often designed for phones not tablets.

I hope to one day do a longer well-written review.
I love my nexus 7. Its battery is unbeatable, screen is great, games are slick, and its fast! This was actually posted on my nexus. I just so happened to be using it! Big Grin
Seems like almost all of us complimenting about its battery life Big Grin
(2012-12-28, 07:56 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have one my self, but I do own a tablet and would say that they're pretty much pointless for me personally. All I ever use mine for is to browse the internet. I've tried playing games on it but I'm too used to using actual buttons so it feels really odd. You'll maybe use it a load for the first month but will likely barely touch it after that.

That's just my opinion. I can't quite see the appeal.

I'm afraid that might happen, I'll end up just using it for internet. Gaming wise, personally, I like the shortness of tablet/phone games. If I want to play full length, FPS or something I'll use my Ps3.

I'm thinking about calling a couple stores to see how long the return period is. I know costco will let you return electronics 30 days after buying them, but I'm not sure if they sell a N7.

Would every one say ~30 days is about enough to see if I'd actually use the darn thing or not?

EDIT: @Labrocca, so the apps are better on the Kindle? I haven't really researched it but I never would have guessed that haha.
Well amazon dumped a lot of money into the kindle Toungue. They also have their own app store so they wanted it to succeed.
(2012-12-29, 07:14 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Well amazon dumped a lot of money into the kindle Toungue. They also have their own app store so they wanted it to succeed.

You can get the app store on any android device.

Edit: @Labrocca update to Jellybean. It was solved.
I'm just saying that amazon had more incentive to be more tablet friendly than google did.
Pages: 1 2