MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Script Encoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is it against MyBB's license to use encoding like ioncube on a plugin?

Thanks.
Of course not. A developer can do what they like with their plugins.
(2012-12-29, 08:56 AM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Of course not. A developer can do what they like with their plugins.

I am just asking as MyBB is under GPL and GPL supposedly doesn't allow things like ioncube.
Developer plugins don't belong to mybb. They belong to the developers. The developer can apply any licence they wish to apply. Why do you ask ? Are you encoding your work or something ?
(2012-12-29, 11:27 AM)pcfreak30 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-29, 08:56 AM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Of course not. A developer can do what they like with their plugins.

I am just asking as MyBB is under GPL and GPL supposedly doesn't allow things like ioncube.

MyBB is under the LGPL license, but that doesn't apply to plugins. Plugins are under their own license, if any.

You're free to encode your plugin but we probably won't accept it in to the mods site as we can't see the content. It would be a very risky thing to do.
(2012-12-29, 11:53 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

MyBB is under the LGPL license, but that doesn't apply to plugins. Plugins are under their own license, if any.

You're free to encode your plugin but we probably won't accept it in to the mods site as we can't see the content. It would be a very risky thing to do.

I understand that. I just don't want to deal with software pirates that have been in MyBB lately a lot.
(2012-12-29, 12:10 PM)pcfreak30 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-29, 11:53 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

I understand that. I just don't want to deal with software pirates that have been in MyBB lately a lot.

Software pirates lol, what U mean ?
(2012-12-29, 12:10 PM)pcfreak30 Wrote: [ -> ]I understand that. I just don't want to deal with software pirates that have been in MyBB lately a lot.

You'll get that with any software if you sell it. Ioncube is an encoder, and encoding is also accompanied by its partner, decoding. If someone does get a copy of your encoded plugin they can easily decode it within a few hours. At most it will put off some of the kiddies from trying to spread it around but if someone is persistent they wouldn't have any trouble.
Software will be distributed illegally no matter what. Take the Adobe software for example. A huge company like Adobe cant even prevent their software from being distributed illegally. As Nathan said you can encode it but its not rocket science decoding it. However it will make it less of a target for redistribution.
Thanks. I am very aware of that, but its the best method I see so far.
Pages: 1 2 3