MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: inVisionary - Website Development
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2013-01-10, 03:38 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-10, 06:42 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]You're not getting much feedback because everyone sees this as a doomed idea.

Which is a silly reason to not give feedback. If he has the resolve to follow through and everyone thinks it'll fail, why aren't they giving feedback that helps it accomplish the opposite? Constructive criticism and feedback don't only apply to generally accepted ideas, you know. Instead of saying "this idea is awful stop trying", actually try to, you know, be helpful?

also did you bother to read his showcase thread? He clearly states it's in pre-alpha and he'll be getting a domain when at least some of the features he wants are working. All good ideas start this way; see: Backloggery.

You're wrong.

Constructive criticism is only helpful if the original idea is sound. Constructive criticism needs a solid base upon which to construct. Putting significant energy into giving suggestions and feedback is a waste of energy for everyone involved because the idea simply won't work.

So not only is it a bad idea, but it's a bad idea that the creator himself hasn't even bothered to solidify – he's asking for suggestions running the gamut of everything, he has no idea how he wants his own project to proceed.

Furthermore, if it the project is so early in its conception, why is he posting about it here at all? All of his grandiose platitudes fall apart when you click that link and there it is, just a generic forum. We have nothing to talk about. He is just one person like many others in the Showcase – someone who opened a generic forum and says a lot of big words with nothing to back them up. The only difference is that he wrote a few more words than usual.
I was trying to helpful. All the guy did was tell me what it was not going to be.

I asked what plans he had to achieve the things he wanted. I got blather about tea and a tired keyboard in reply.

Sure, the OP might not need plugins/extra scripts now, but in the future, if the idea panned out, then they would. That is why I was so bold as to suggest at such an early stage of the project to consider a different software or even to ask how much investigation they had done into whether or not MyBB was suitable.

RIGHT NOW - as Brad says - all we see is a generic forum.
Quite amazing how I made every user on this forum hate me. xD

When you click the simple o' link, you see a generic forum. A website with random forums, threads, etc. But do you see the idea? The vision in which can become real, or not. Depending on how you view it.

I, as the founder of this website, acknowledge the difficulty. I understand how you think this will fail and die in two days. I respect that thought. That thought makes me want to continue going, so I can prove that doubt can't stop a vision from coming true.

And when you think about it, that is the point of the site. Users don't want doubt, to be let down. They want support, ideas, acknowledgement to continue on. There are a bunch of sites in which people can express themselves. I plan on doing more than that.
(2013-01-13, 02:39 AM)DaedricPrince Wrote: [ -> ]Quite amazing how I made every user on this forum hate me. xD

5 people have replied. That is not every user on this forum.

FYI - I don't hate you - I don't even know you.
(2013-01-13, 06:30 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-13, 02:39 AM)DaedricPrince Wrote: [ -> ]Quite amazing how I made every user on this forum hate me. xD

5 people have replied. That is not every user on this forum.

FYI - I don't hate you - I don't even know you.

Good to know. Toungue

I have updated the logo, added some things, changed some designs, blah blah blah. Still, lots of work needs to be done. What do you suggest?

(2013-01-10, 04:04 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-10, 06:42 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]You're not getting much feedback because everyone sees this as a doomed idea.

Which is a silly reason to not give feedback. If he has the resolve to follow through and everyone thinks it'll fail, why aren't they giving feedback that helps it accomplish the opposite? Constructive criticism and feedback don't only apply to generally accepted ideas, you know. Instead of saying "this idea is awful stop trying", actually try to, you know, be helpful?

also did you bother to read his showcase thread? He clearly states it's in pre-alpha and he'll be getting a domain when at least some of the features he wants are working. All good ideas start this way; see: Backloggery.

You're wrong.

Constructive criticism is only helpful if the original idea is sound. Constructive criticism needs a solid base upon which to construct. Putting significant energy into giving suggestions and feedback is a waste of energy for everyone involved because the idea simply won't work.

So not only is it a bad idea, but it's a bad idea that the creator himself hasn't even bothered to solidify – he's asking for suggestions running the gamut of everything, he has no idea how he wants his own project to proceed.

Furthermore, if it the project is so early in its conception, why is he posting about it here at all? All of his grandiose platitudes fall apart when you click that link and there it is, just a generic forum. We have nothing to talk about. He is just one person like many others in the Showcase – someone who opened a generic forum and says a lot of big words with nothing to back them up. The only difference is that he wrote a few more words than usual.

I'm amazed by how much you users will do anything to prove your point. Honestly, I agree with you. Big Grin I have no words to back me up. I have a generic forum just like everyone else's. I use giant, feirce words to make it all look professional and planned out. I understand that.

And I won't fight that. So don't expect me to explain things (again). Your opinion is your opinion, so I respect that. But no matter what you, or any other user say, I will continue this project even though it might turn out to be a huge gigantic failure. You want an original idea, right? What's 'original' then? Every forum is the same. There is nothing original when it comes to forum websites.

Point is, even though you, and other users doubt this idea/concept, I will still continue to work on it along with my partner. I won't quit it. So what's the point of doubting it, instead of supporting even a little, for it?
So basically this website is planned to be an overcustomized general discussion forum? Because unless your website will give tools and tips to creators, then it has nothing. Don't release a site that isn't done, as your whole goal here is to recreate a social network. Just add that stuff before release. But on the same note, your forum really doesn't need that stuff as it has no focus, and therefore no solid attraction to users.

This idea is less than half baked, reconsider it.
(2013-01-15, 05:03 PM)Kolton T. Wrote: [ -> ]So basically this website is planned to be an overcustomized general discussion forum? Because unless your website will give tools and tips to creators, then it has nothing. Don't release a site that isn't done, as your whole goal here is to recreate a social network. Just add that stuff before release. But on the same note, your forum really doesn't need that stuff as it has no focus, and therefore no solid attraction to users.

This idea is less than half baked, reconsider it.

Thanks! As I am fully aware of how bad this website is, I can honestly say, I am dedicated to make it what I visioned it to be. A network where people share their thoughts. With a gallery where people can upload not only art and pictures, but videos and flash games, in which the user made.

I know in your perspective, it looks like a generic forum with no hope. However, look at all the Minecraft forums. Seriously, hundreds. I hope to not reconsider, but to continue.

Is that clear for everyone? I will make a website in which users can share what they want, when they want, however the heck they want. Reconsideration is not...considered.

People have been giving feedback and constructive criticism, and OP has either failed to understand the problem or flat out ignored them / told them they're incorrect.

@OP, sounds like you're trying to make another Facebook. You can sugarcoat it anyway you like by saying that all you can do on Facebook currently is "play Flash games with your family" but ultimately Facebook can do everything you want your site to do and you know it, with the possible exception of uploading your own developed games. But if someone wants to upload a game and show it off and make money off it, then they'll just upload it to Mochiads or something won't they? Why would anyone choose your start up over Facebook is the question I think you need to address before you go any further with this project.
Get a TLD first dude....
A few categories with only 1 section in each, it's unnecessary. So is this:
http://daedricprince.byethost17.com/show....php?tid=3

When all MyBB installations include this:
http://daedricprince.byethost17.com/showteam.php
Pages: 1 2 3 4