MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Reason of MyBB 1.8's big delay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Alright, I wasn't so active here anymore because I waited for MyBB 1.8. If I recall correctly the approximate release of 1.8 was dated last year in may.

Now, after 8 months delay there is still no 1.8. I do have to wonder why since it was said that 1.8 would just be a face lift or something like that for MyBB. Has this changed? Will 1.8 be more than a face lift? More features etc? Perhaps you could write up a blog entry about possible changes in MyBB that occured after the last MyBB 1.8 blog entry. Thanks.
There are a number of feature changes in 1.8 but with school and work I imagine most of the dev team is busy in real life. They can only work on MyBB in their free time since they don't get paid.
Things changed. That's why we never give release dates. If you take an approximation as literal then you're going to be disappointed.

1.8 has turned in to something bigger than just a face lift. Please take a look on the blog, we've already posted part of the tour. Tomm has been busy with real life and so myself and Stefan have been put in charge of the 1.6 series to give Tomm more time to work on 1.8. Hopefully we can get the Alpha open to the public soon (Read: Hopefully means exactly that, we hope) so you can preview what we have so far. There's a backlog of features to complete and when 1.6.10 is released that should give us extra man power to concentrate on 1.8.

Note that the Alpha is unstable, buggy, development code which must not be used on a production forum. There won't be a release of the Alpha, only the code will be available.
Alright, thanks.
(2013-01-12, 04:19 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]If I recall correctly the approximate release of 1.8 was dated last year in may.
btw: May 2012 was planned for the first alpha/beta version but not for the final version.
Don't take me wrong but

First you were aiming at MyBB 2.0...

Then you became entangled with a 1.6 facelift and decided to make a MyBB 1.8 and the way you put it back then sounded like an incoming thing, a surprise just about to happen in days or weeks as it sounded.

Finally you became even more entangled and decided to make deeper changes in 1.8 such that it was not imminent any more to which you often replied in a very defensive way about its release date, not risking to mention if it was a question of months any more, let alone weeks.

Have you realized that after all you should have not announced 1.8 at all? People would have not been bombing you with these questions all this time and the audience would be happy to know all the efforts were going to 2.0 and would not be surprised by the time taken.

Anyway, happy new year!
We weren't aware that it would take so long. We had hoped to push a beta out by May, but people kept on adding more and more feature requests that it became more than just a facelift and jQuery conversion.
Tom tweeted it will be released on the 23rd the other day.
(2013-01-13, 06:05 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Tom tweeted it will be released on the 23rd the other day.

I hope that's true, and that he's not just trollin' us.
(2013-01-13, 06:05 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Tom tweeted it will be released on the 23rd the other day.

That's the alpha, not the final release or even the beta.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10