MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [WIP] Webdesign - Looking for Feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, I'm working on a new design for my Minecraft Server website. As it stands, I only have the header and content box done., however, is it possible you could give suggestions and feedback? Thanks!

Here is the preview: http://someimage.com/CQkm5VH

I would also love it if you gave feedback on my banner: http://someimage.com/UxsjV7V

Thanks!
Very meh.

Bland gradients, boring fonts, logo is not very appealing
On the page you showed us, I do think that "blurred image, black header bar, info unit with some bla bla" is getting a bit old hat. I realise others may disagree.

What you could do is make the header font and the picture font compete a little less and look again at the spacing of the font in that information box.

The font on the logo has the letters spaced a tad too far apart - try fiddling with the font kerning in your graphics editor.
(2013-01-31, 12:43 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]Very meh.

Not sure if that was just a bash or you are trying to help me improve... However, I'll take it well.

(2013-01-31, 12:50 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]On the page you showed us, I do think that "blurred image, black header bar, info unit with some bla bla" is getting a bit old hat. I realise others may disagree.

What you could do is make the header font and the picture font compete a little less and look again at the spacing of the font in that information box.

The font on the logo has the letters spaced a tad too far apart - try fiddling with the font kerning in your graphics editor.

OK, thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do.

(2013-01-31, 02:22 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

My instinct was that it is a worse take on your design style.

I don't see the point in you bashing nearly every thread in this section. It seems pointless to post something that is quite mean. Just because it has been done before does not mean he made it. For all you know I could have made this before him... Please, I beg you, get off my thread.
Whether of not yours was first (though your reaction would indicate it isn't), its reminiscent. Also, if you think all my posts are negative, you don't read many of my posts.
quick piece of advice:

the left box with the title "Welcome to Islandcraft". You have a light coloured border (lighter than the box). IMO a darker coloured border would be better instead.

I'll try and explain why but it will be difficult, lol. The lighter border gives the impression the box is "indented" into the background. I think it would look better if it "floated" above the background. To give this impression the border should be darker.

Here's what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/upJCldA.png

I dunno, it makes all the difference to me, I guess it's subjective.
The design is very big and chunky - don't use the "that is what it was meant to be" excuse because it doesn't look appealing the way you approached it. The menu squares look pretty bad and cheaply made, besides the header is way too huge anyways. You have quite a bit of alignment issues on the top too. You need to learn how to coordinate colors to compliment one another and not contrast, like on your buttons on the left box - you have a dark gray outline which contrasts with the background. Since the background is dark and the button is white, I wouldn't put a border to the buttons at all if I do it would be a white border.

You also need to work on your fonts.
(2013-01-31, 05:29 PM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]quick piece of advice:

the left box with the title "Welcome to Islandcraft". You have a light coloured border (lighter than the box). IMO a darker coloured border would be better instead.

I'll try and explain why but it will be difficult, lol. The lighter border gives the impression the box is "indented" into the background. I think it would look better if it "floated" above the background. To give this impression the border should be darker.

Here's what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/upJCldA.png

I dunno, it makes all the difference to me, I guess it's subjective.

Thanks for the Feedback, I'll be right on it! Big Grin

(2013-01-31, 06:19 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]The design is very big and chunky - don't use the "that is what it was meant to be" excuse because it doesn't look appealing the way you approached it. The menu squares look pretty bad and cheaply made, besides the header is way too huge anyways. You have quite a bit of alignment issues on the top too. You need to learn how to coordinate colors to compliment one another and not contrast, like on your buttons on the left box - you have a dark gray outline which contrasts with the background. Since the background is dark and the button is white, I wouldn't put a border to the buttons at all if I do it would be a white border.

You also need to work on your fonts.

I see what you mean, thanks.

Also, can you suggest some nice fonts, I know you're a designer, and I tend to be picky. Toungue
(2013-01-31, 02:22 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]

My instinct was that it is a worse take on your design style.

This. I sincerely thought he had just tried to copy JL's style.. either way I'm not a fan of that style myself. Others probably like it though.
I'm no expert, but the design so far doesn't appeal to me at all so for me it's a case of :

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_3TsEYAW1JWkOCFMpfFW...AWVc8keNRz]
Pages: 1 2