MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Have tried 2 theme installs. Both failed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Cure and Apart Twilight...Both failed with "The following errors were encountered: MyBB could not find the theme with the file you uploaded. Please check the file is the correct and is not corrupt."

MyBB appears to be the most highly recommended BB software, but the free themes are all very old, and the default theme looks like it popped out of 1992. Is there a theme that looks more modern and works with 1.6.9?
(2013-02-11, 11:21 AM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]The Cure and Apart Twilight...Both failed with "The following errors were encountered: MyBB could not find the theme with the file you uploaded. Please check the file is the correct and is not corrupt."

MyBB appears to be the most highly recommended BB software, but the free themes are all very old, and the default theme looks like it popped out of 1992. Is there a theme that looks more modern and works with 1.6.9?

Are you sure you installed the themes properly, you have to point the installer to the xml file on your PC, then it will install the themes.

As for compatibility with themes, yes I have had similar problems with "free" themes, especially when installing MODS.
There appears to be no checks on compatibility, all you can do is use the "ignore version compatibility" option, and hope it works out of the box.

You could try searching for "MyBBthemes" on google, that will throw up various sites, but most will only be copies of what are available on here.

You could quite easily do what I have done at www.talkingreds.net and find a theme you like, then with some css edits, adjust the colours to how you want them.
(2013-02-11, 01:40 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-11, 11:21 AM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]The Cure and Apart Twilight...Both failed with "The following errors were encountered: MyBB could not find the theme with the file you uploaded. Please check the file is the correct and is not corrupt."

Are you sure you installed the themes properly, you have to point the installer to the xml file on your PC, then it will install the themes.

As for compatibility with themes, yes I have had similar problems with "free" themes, especially when installing MODS.
There appears to be no checks on compatibility, all you can do is use the "ignore version compatibility" option, and hope it works out of the box.

You could try searching for "MyBBthemes" on google, that will throw up various sites, but most will only be copies of what are available on here.

You could quite easily do what I have done at www.talkingreds.net and find a theme you like, then with some css edits, adjust the colours to how you want them.

Okay, I see now. I was trying to upload the .zip. Not the .xml .

Now I'm getting the error you mentioned regarding compatibility... I really don't want to run into a bunch of issues with compatibility. So strange such popular forum software doesn't have any recent decent free themes.
(2013-02-11, 02:21 PM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-11, 01:40 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay, I see now. I was trying to upload the .zip. Not the .xml .

Now I'm getting the error you mentioned regarding compatibility... I really don't want to run into a bunch of issues with compatibility. So strange such popular forum software doesn't have any recent decent free themes.

Just check the "ignore compatibility" box, then it will install.
Doing this may mean you'll need to ask for a fix for the odd plugin,most issues are down to slight changes in code, which I've found the people on here can usually workaround for you.
Thanks much. Will give it a go.
Can you tell me how to "point the installer to the xml file on your PC, then it will install the themes."

I found the place in the control pannel to add the theme I found. So I have a zip file right now.
You'll need to extract that .zip file. If you right click on it or double click to open it, there should be an option to extract it.
(2013-02-11, 04:09 PM)MariaMarsala Wrote: [ -> ]Can you tell me how to "point the installer to the xml file on your PC, then it will install the themes."

I found the place in the control pannel to add the theme I found. So I have a zip file right now.

You have to extract the .zip file.
Using FTP upload the files to the the server, they normally go as one folder into the Images directory

Go to the ACP>Templates & Styles > Themes > Import a theme tab >
Where it says local file, make sure that it is selected, then browse to the theme .xml file on your PC

The theme folder contains all the images, icons etc, the .xml file contains all the templates and css
(2013-02-11, 11:21 AM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB appears to be the most highly recommended BB software, but the free themes are all very old, and the default theme looks like it popped out of 1992. Is there a theme that looks more modern and works with 1.6.9?

Any theme for MyBB 1.6 will work on the latest version of MyBB 1.6. You just need to make sure the templates are up to date.

(2013-02-11, 01:40 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]There appears to be no checks on compatibility, all you can do is use the "ignore version compatibility" option, and hope it works out of the box.

There are checks, by hitting "ignore version compatibility" you're saying "I want to install this theme even though it wasn't designed for this specific version".
(2013-02-11, 04:35 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-11, 11:21 AM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB appears to be the most highly recommended BB software, but the free themes are all very old, and the default theme looks like it popped out of 1992. Is there a theme that looks more modern and works with 1.6.9?

Any theme for MyBB 1.6 will work on the latest version of MyBB 1.6. You just need to make sure the templates are up to date.

(2013-02-11, 01:40 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]There appears to be no checks on compatibility, all you can do is use the "ignore version compatibility" option, and hope it works out of the box.

There are checks, by hitting "ignore version compatibility" you're saying "I want to install this theme even though it wasn't designed for this specific version".

I feel a circular discussion coming on.
If there are checks, then would it not be sensible to state the version it is for rather than the release date of the theme.
Plus there are themes which say they are 1.6.* compatible, and you still have to use the "ignore version compatibility" in order for them to install.

Now in most peoples view the asterisk in 1.6.* denotes that said theme (or Plugin) will work with any version preceded by 1.6. this is obviously not the case, and it's use should be terminated,and exchanged for the full version number eg: 1.6.8, then we would know beforehand.
Pages: 1 2