MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Opera moving to Webkit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I like Opera for it's UI. When I am making sites I usually develop on Opera and then go see how it looks on the "others". I think that Opera and it's fussy fussy rendering actually made me better at css so RIP Presto, it was fun while it lasted.Sad

Edit to add: This probably explains why Photobucket just did not bother to support Opera on their latest layout.
(2013-02-16, 03:40 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]IMO it's a good move. I'd like to see all browsers share the same rendering engine (and WebKit is the best candidate at the moment). Browsers can differentiate themselves via their UI, but having just one rendering engine would make life so much easier for developers and allow the progression of web standards to occur much more quickly.

If only Microsoft and Mozilla would follow suit...

Really just by what they stand for (Giving users the tools they need), all browsers should use the same rendering engine, since it would give them the best experience possible. I don't see Microsoft coming to webkit, hopefully Mozilla makes the move eventually though.

(2013-02-16, 08:00 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I like Opera for it's UI. When I am making sites I usually develop on Opera and then go see how it looks on the "others". I think that Opera and it's fussy fussy rendering actually made me better at css so RIP Presto, it was fun while it lasted.Sad

Edit to add: This probably explains why Photobucket just did not bother to support Opera on their latest layout.

Well, it shouldn't really make you "better" at CSS, since webkit is a lot closer to the CSS spec.

If every browser moves to the same engine the web would change for the better (No more vendor prefixes please?).
(2013-02-16, 04:10 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]This one I fear may not come true though. Competition is good.

Obviously the former ubiquity of IE6 is a fear that springs to mind, but I think there is a big difference given that WebKit is open source. If IE6 was built on an Open Source rendering engine I think things would have turned out very differently (which is probably a very obvious thing to say, but my point is that the consequences of a "monopoly" aren't as destructive in the case of open source software, especially when the development is relatively well distributed between stake holders such as in the case of webkit).
I think, just for competition reasons, it would be best if IE went Gecko/SpiderMonkey, and it were just WK/V8 vs GK/SM. Only two rendering engines to write for (and ideally they'd be similar enough to only have to write to standards) would make writing the HTML/CSS/JS so much easier, but because there's still competition there's still motivation to get off their butts and improve.

Of course I don't see that happening any time soon so...
(2013-02-16, 11:58 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-16, 08:00 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]....I think that Opera and it's fussy fussy rendering actually made me better at css so RIP Presto, it was fun while it lasted.Sad

Well, it shouldn't really make you "better" at CSS, since webkit is a lot closer to the CSS spec.

Sure it did, as it made me understand what was going on rather than just copy pasting Big Grin
Hopefully I can watch videos with HTML5-based videoplayers better with this transition, because atm Opera renders them quite troublesome, at least for me.
(2013-02-16, 03:22 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]my forums will completely break now, the currently only supported browser for my forums was just Opera, xD

...wat
I know, lol.
I read this a couple days ago. I've been on Opera since 4.x I believe. I assume this change was the right thing for them to do and it was well-thought out. I have no problems with their current rendering but with the new setup I'm sure there will be better compatibility which is always nice.
(2013-02-18, 09:12 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I read this a couple days ago. I've been on Opera since 4.x I believe. I assume this change was the right thing for them to do and it was well-thought out. I have no problems with their current rendering but with the new setup I'm sure there will be better compatibility which is always nice.

That and the greater focus on improving other key features which draw users (built in email, IRC etc) - not that any of them need massive amounts of work done.
Pages: 1 2 3