MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing Hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What i ll do now? i m changeing host. how ll i copy database? i have access of myphpadmin? badly need help coz my hosting service ll finish this year.
phpMyAdmin allows you to export the database with the "Export" function the database's screen. Simply select your MyBB database in the dropdown list on the left, click "Export" in the menubar at the top and save the structure as well as the data of all tables.
first, download inc/settings.php, and inc/config.php to you desctop from you old server.

Then, go to phpMyAdmin, go to the database you have myBB tables in, select export from the tabs above, in the "Export", click "Select All". Tick the box next to Save as file, then click go. Download the file to your desctop.

Next, in your new host, go to phpMyAdmin, make your new database with the same name as the last one, click sql from the tabs above. Find "Location of the textfile", broswe to the file on your desctop and double click on it. Compression: Autodetect, and click go.

Dont click twice, it may take a while but it does work. All data will now be tranfered. The next thing to do is upload the myBB files to the new server, and replace the new inc/settings.php and inc/config.php with the old ones you download onto your desctop from the old server.

Now go to the front page. Everything should work provided your mySQL username, password, and database name are the same as the old one. If not, edit inc/config.php, re-do with the new details, and re-upload.

Hope this helped.
Yeah good point there K776! As most hosts add your username for your site Control Panel. So your current Database Name and Username may look like this:
DB Name: usr_mybb
DB User: usr_mybb
The password rarely has the usr_ prefix attached to it.

So yeah before deleting anythink download/copy the inc/config.php file and inc/settings.php file to your Desktop. then upload a fresh version of MyBB to your new host and replace the inc/settings.php and inc/config.php files with the two .php files your downloaded from your old host.

Also edit the config.php file so that the Database Name, Username and password match your new database Name, Username and password you created @ your new host.
thanks everyone it really helped. isn't it easy that i just copy the forum forder and place it to new host and b4 that upload the old sql file to the new host in myphpadmin. Big Grin
Just as a warning some webhosts don't have PHP set to accept files larger then a certain size. So if your SQL file is large (say in the Megabytes) you may get a browser time out error.

The easiest thing to do would be to then take your SQL file and FTP it to your new webserver. Then ask your webhost to guide it into the new database for you. Depending on how good of a webhost you have they should be able to do this within a day or two at no charge.
roxics Wrote:Just as a warning some webhosts don't have PHP set to accept files larger then a certain size. So if your SQL file is large (say in the Megabytes) you may get a browser time out error.

The easiest thing to do would be to then take your SQL file and FTP it to your new webserver. Then ask your webhost to guide it into the new database for you. Depending on how good of a webhost you have they should be able to do this within a day or two at no charge.

I'm also changing my webhost. Going to run it off my own server instead.
My DB export is just under 80MB. The import function on PHPAdmin say max is 2048KB. Is there an easy way to import the DB?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.
I tried importing the database and got this:

Quote:#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 26

Don't necessarily know what it means, though. Undecided

Anyone have a clue?
Here is a thread with details on backing up and restoring a database http://www.mybboard.com/community/showth...p?tid=2446
marcgo15 Wrote:Here is a thread with details on backing up and restoring a database http://www.mybboard.com/community/showth...p?tid=2446

That dusn't solve the...

apex Wrote:My DB export is just under 80MB. The import function on PHPAdmin say max is 2048KB. Is there an easy way to import the DB?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same problem but I have no idea how to change that. Lucky for me I didn't have that many users, but help in this mater with MySQL would be a big thanks!
Pages: 1 2