MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb Framework?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know this is a old thread.

Only issue with using mybb as the framework is when Mybb updates you need to update.
If you are using it right there shouldn't be an issue. At least during minor updates. Most CSM softwares breaks half the customizations during major updates.
Ok but I belief when 2.0 comes out it will be hassle and require me to re-write the software or changing forum software which I won't be doing anytime soon but would also require a re-write.

Would it be better to also start a user session and leave everything separate that way I won't need to worry too much about updates breaking things.
(2014-08-31, 11:55 PM)Spudster Wrote: [ -> ]Ok but I belief when 2.0 comes out it will be hassle and require me to re-write the software or changing forum software which I won't be doing anytime soon but would also require a re-write.

Would it be better to also start a user session and leave everything separate that way I won't need to worry too much about updates breaking things.

And this is where I disagree with other fellas who have replied to this thread, although MyBB embraces some very solid code, it hasn't been built to be a generic framework, the matter of genericity doesn't exist, and thank God it doesn't. Which means it's very solid to reuse MyBB's core functions and classes if you're building MyBB custom pages or plugins, but not to build your independent website.

There where Frameworks don't break functionalities when they upgrade to newer versions, MyBB doesn't respect such closure, the dev team will keep whatever code seem elementary to the functioning of the forum, and remove/replace anything else.

(2014-08-31, 11:55 PM)Spudster Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be better to also start a user session and leave everything separate that way I won't need to worry too much about updates breaking things.

Working on a plugin? Use MyBB's core code and follow the plugin pattern.
Working on a separate project? Go ahead and use whatever code you want to use, so when MyBB 2 comes out, you won't mess up with everything Wink
Want your website to interact with the forum? I'm building an API system for that (free ads Big Grin).

As always, this is just my point of view.
i'm building a clan feature so users of the site can admin there own clans this functionality is going to be aimed at gaming companies and personal gamers Wink

What I am going to do is change my variables to the default php ones and use mysqli_ and as for the session I will write if the user is logged in to the forums then also start A PHP session to use for other features.

This would be the best way I think and the feature is not a plugin it's more of a seperate feature but uses mybb ->input and $db-> functions. (Written for Mybb)

i'm trying to start a cookie with the mybb login itself any ideas on how I can archive this?

Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3