MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Users losing interest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I opened my forum a week ago and where I advertised I go about 20-30 decent members up to 900 posts but now it seems that everyone has left and lost interest. Have any tips for things like this? Smile
Have content, have a specific niche, have a forum because you have an interest or hobby that is not already covered exhaustively elsewhere. Or have a heck of a lot of friends.
1. The content. Post useful, informative, interesting, unique contents.
2. Arrange competitions with attractive prizes (like .com domain for top poster of the season).
3. Advertise more to get new active members.

In any case - don't give up. The ups and downs of a forum traffic is normal. If you have started something; you should stick with it the longest possible.
(2013-02-19, 07:35 AM)Geret Wrote: [ -> ]I opened my forum a week ago and where I advertised I go about 20-30 decent members up to 900 posts but now it seems that everyone has left and lost interest. Have any tips for things like this? Smile

Have you continued to be active and drive(and start) interesting topics?
(2013-02-19, 02:06 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-19, 07:35 AM)Geret Wrote: [ -> ]I opened my forum a week ago and where I advertised I go about 20-30 decent members up to 900 posts but now it seems that everyone has left and lost interest. Have any tips for things like this? Smile

I think this has something to do with it... I kinda started to relax to early whether it be slacking off or just not visiting.
(2013-02-19, 08:11 PM)Geret Wrote: [ -> ]I kinda started to relax to early whether it be slacking off or just not visiting.
Ahh... That's likely the problem.
The community isn't big enough to survive on it's own. You'll still need to put ideas and show interest yourself even when there are a few thousands of members.
Something I learned was that an active administrator and active moderators tend to equal an active board
You've only been open a short time so, no you shouldn't be 'slacking off' just yet.

When you have enough traffic to start needing help (staff) then perhaps you can ease up on your own contributions, but even then it is important for a small forum to have a visible posting leader.
You need to have things that keep the members interested. Based on your forum niche, you can provide events to gain things on the forum, or other things. Also, keep up with information on your forum, post a lot to keep people responding, etc.
(2013-02-19, 08:11 PM)Geret Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-19, 02:06 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]

I think this has something to do with it... I kinda started to relax to early whether it be slacking off or just not visiting.

You opened it up just over a week ago and have started to slack off ? I can tell you one thing, If you dont have the interest to keep visiting your own forum then certainly dont expect others too do so. And dont expect your forum to be a complete success after a week, thats gonna take months maybe even years of work, slacking off after a week is not the way to run a successful forum.
(2013-02-27, 01:44 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]You opened it up just over a week ago and have started to slack off ? I can tell you one thing, If you dont have the interest to keep visiting your own forum then certainly dont expect others too do so. And dont expect your forum to be a complete success after a week, thats gonna take months maybe even years of work, slacking off after a week is not the way to run a successful forum.

Have to agree with this. It can take quite a while to get an active user base (a forum which can survive on its own). Leaving after a week is surprising.

Keep at it, this time don't stop, keep pushing new content to keep people engaged and wanting to come back.
Pages: 1 2