MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need help making a forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I really want to make a forum.
Topics for forum:
Gaming
Coding
Social Engineering
Computing and diagnosis
And General(jokes , funny stuff etc)
I might add some more but that's for now.
I need help with ideas for the forum and help how to make it a HQ forum.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am looking for staff and co-admins too if you want to join then great Smile.
Hosting:
I want to start with free hosting and if it starts getting traffic and earnings upgrade to hostagator etc.
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]I really want to make a forum.

How much do you want to succeed?

(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]Topics for forum:
Gaming
Saturated
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]Coding
Could work
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]Social Engineering
I don't really think you can rival Facebook.
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]Computing and diagnosis
Saturated
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]And General(jokes , funny stuff etc)
Saturated
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]I might add some more but that's for now.
Run as far away from that as you can. The more you have, then less people will want to join the forum.

Stick to one topic
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]I need help with ideas for the forum and help how to make it a HQ forum.
Any help would be appreciated.
See above
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]I am looking for staff and co-admins too if you want to join then great Smile.

You don't need staff at this stage. Wait until you have some members.
(2013-02-26, 09:36 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]Hosting:
I want to start with free hosting and if it starts getting traffic and earnings upgrade to hostagator etc.

/sigh. You won't succeed on free hosting, You're more likely to get hacked etc. Go straight to HostGator. Do not pass Go, Do not collect $200.
Thanks for all the help.
So coding but I do want to add at least one more topic.
I am new to this but i am really motivated and i really want to learn
(2013-02-26, 09:47 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]So coding but I do want to add at least one more topic.

Coding kind of falls into programming, and that's not just web programming, so you'll have adequate discussions to keep track of.
Ok thanks.
So how do I make this?
I have downloaded mybb and I downloaded plugins but if I go straight to hostgator it might be just investing in nothing :/
So how do I make the forum and what theme should I pick?
Want to help me through Skype or pm?
(2013-02-26, 10:07 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]I have downloaded mybb and I downloaded plugins but if I go straight to hostgator it might be just investing in nothing :/

But, by investing in nothing it lets people know you are dedicated to making this work.

(2013-02-26, 10:07 PM)theroyoboyo Wrote: [ -> ]So how do I make the forum and what theme should I pick?

FAQ is your friend. http://docs.mybb.com/Installing.html
Thanks.
So I will save up a bit and start my forum.
For the meantime I need some ideas how the forum will look like what traffic am I targeting and how to get traffic and some friends that could help me open the forum and come up with ideas
Honestly, all the topics you listed are either saturated, or not highly discussed.

Quote:1. Gaming
2. Coding
3. Social Engineering
4. Computing and diagnosis
5. And General(jokes , funny stuff etc)

1. Gaming is so overused it is not even funny. You will not be able to compete with the forums that have been around for years already. Might as well drop it (I would) in a business standpoint.

2. Quite a hard one to start with. You'll have barely any traffic because the audience isn't quite big. There are a lot of people who are interested in coding, but they're probably already on another forum, like CodeGuru, Dreamincode, etc.

3. This was a very popular niche last year, and I think has started to die down with the calming of Social Engineering methods and support from people who are actually into that.

4. Could work, there's forums already, but it's not quite overused, like Gaming. I don't know anything about making a forum on this topic, so I can't help you much in this one.

5. That niche will never, ever work. It's too broad. People who join forums want something specific, like an Android Phone forum, is for phones based on Android OS, it's quite specific, but broad enough for users to join and share information on other phones based on that operating system. I'm kind of going out on my own in thought, but that's just how I am Smile.

You should invest in a cheap VPS. It's great to learn on, running a forum on it shouldn't be much work, besides installing some daemons, security measures, etc. Free Hosts are a big no-no. Anyone can get on the host and do what they wish, i.e., finding exploits, and if they're on the same box as you, oh you're not going to be happy. Don't forget performance issues. You're better off with paid shared hosting, or a VPS for dedicated hosting.

Now, to think of a niche, you just gotta do some research. What are people interested in the most, but that's not too available? You can compete with forums that are semi-large, or even large. It's just all about what your forum can offer people that the competitors don't, and what people want that the competitors don't have. Just think, man. It'll take time, but don't jump into a forum if you have no research taken in a niche that you might want to use.
(2013-02-27, 12:49 AM)Lith Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly, all the topics you listed are either saturated, or not highly discussed.

You should invest in a cheap VPS. It's great to learn on, running a forum on it shouldn't be much work, besides installing some daemons, security measures, etc. Free Hosts are a big no-no. Anyone can get on the host and do what they wish, i.e., finding exploits, and if they're on the same box as you, oh you're not going to be happy. Don't forget performance issues. You're better off with paid shared hosting, or a VPS for dedicated hosting.

Just to suggest a site for finding a VPS - I usually use lowendbox.com anytime I need something cheap yet usually reliable (depending on the provider). I would recommend either hostigation or buyvm.
DigitalOcean all the way!
Pages: 1 2