MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: social network idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
but most of the people don't use it for discussing.
they're just posting news and stuff like that
and twitter doesn't have important things for a discussion, like a topic-name, and like,...
You just described Tumblr.
but tumblr is mainly for pictures, and i never saw people sharing their opinion / discussing through tumblr ...
Tumblr is for whatever you want it to be for. There are many blogs using Tumblr that don't post many pictures. It is most popular for pictures.
Run. As. Far. Away. As. You. Can. From. This. Idea.

I'm serious. You want to succeed, go back to the drawing board.
This idea is way to broad... and to prove it... do you KNOW your target market?
Do you HAVE a target market?
Is YOUR idea AS IT IS, in high demand?
Is this DEMAND, if any, already supplied by competitors?
Who are your competitors?
What is your business ideas strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats in it's current market if such a market exists?
What's the reservation price of your target market in the time and effort they are willing to contribute and does your product stay well below their reservation price?
IS your business idea BY DESIGN readily accessible and easy to understand?
What do you have to offer through technological application and ingenuity that other producers don't already supply? Is it cost effective for you to compete with those producers in either scenario?

All questions that you should already have answers for BEFORE you begin production of your idea.
I think everyone is coming on this from the wrong angle... partially atleast. The first thing he should be worrying about is if he has the funds and the programming skills to start such a site. The idea, like said, is very broad. Most social networks nowadays start with one of 2 things. Funding, or a Niche.

But like I was saying, if you are not using any prebuilt software, what are you going to use. PHP / MySql?

Are you going to prepare for scaling IF it becomes popular so that you won't have to deal with the mess of scaling a already functional website. Are you going to use a framework or write raw code. Which framework if so? Where are the servers going to be. Are you going to start off on one server (httpd, mysqld, and php all on one server) or run the services across multiple servers. ETC... ETC... ETC...

Basically what I am coming at here, is there a plan besides posting on a forum grabbing ideas of people will join.

I see where you are coming from, you want to see if people would join. The issue is that you are putting the cart in front of the horse. Are you going to be able to do it. BTW, I wouldn't expect to host a social network (even if custom coded) on a CPanel server (or any other control panel). Some hosts might be restrictive about this, so they might not like that (check TOS). So now... I come to my recommendations.

Think about the idea, take some time, an idea doesn't come over night like in the movies. (maybe rarely).
Think if it is possible
Learn a language such as PHP, Ruby or Python.
Learn how to use Linux and services such as Apache and Mysql.

So now my main comment after my rant.

You say it is like Twitter, but different in a sense. You say that the website is about people posting ideas. but... isn't Twitter about posting ideas. Even if twitter is about posting status updates, ideas, and other types of information, it still isn't going to work. As long as websites like Facebook and Twitter are partially related to your content type, I don't see anyone switching nor people joining when they could join a much busier and active place like Facebook and Twitter.

Regardless, if you wish to through with this, I wish you the best of luck Smile
I'd say you're the one coming at it from the wrong angle. Asking about technology when the idea sucks isn't really a good use of time. You wrote a lot of words about an idea that doesn't make any sense.
lol Brad... I'm beginning to enjoy your rebuttals... so long as I'm not on the receiving end.. lol.
The idea definitely needs to be narrowed down to satisfy a the demand of a specific target market.
EX, a site for Engineers to share grips about concepts (flame wars will happen), or a site for to sharing/developing ideas such as what we're talking about now.
To the OP, narrow your idea down to one or two market segments and you could manage such an idea easily on your own and then grow from there.
"The Facebook" started off being a way for college kids to share/rate pics if I'm not mistaken.. and only for a few select colleges. And grew to more fancy algorithms and wider audience from there.
So start very specific, then expand.
@Init yes i already know PHP. I bought a social network software with the basic functions like private messages, profil ,.. And i want to change the software to "my" idea. I know PHP, and i already have a server, so don't worry about it. Smile

Okay, i will think about it .. I posted the idea in another forum and many people said that this is a great idea .. hm ..

Quote:Even if twitter is about posting status updates, ideas, and other types of information, it still isn't going to work. As long as websites like Facebook and Twitter are partially related to your content type, I don't see anyone switching nor people joining when they could join a much busier and active place like Facebook and Twitter.

I don't think so.. Do you know the website ask.fm? It's a website where people can join and other people can ask them questions on their profil.
for example : http://ask.fm/vTasker (it's just a random profil)
The website was created like 2 years ago, but actually, in facebook or twitter they can also ask each other questions. But ask.fm is very popular, it has 30 million users. and before ask.fm, formspring was created .. formspring has almost the same concept.
So even a copy of something which has been created in the past can be very successfull ...
So i don't understand your point.
Pages: 1 2 3