MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why did you choose MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi all.. I hope this is a suitable forum for this basic Q, if not apologies and perhaps suggest where it would be better suited.

I have installed forums of a few different types in the past.. VB, phpBB, etc... I now need to add 2 or 3 new forums and am looking at free options, of which MyBB is a front runner (I would rather shot myself in the foot ever use phpBB again !!).

So I am asking users what made you choose MyBB ?? What did you test it against and why was it the right forum for you ??

Do we have any ex SMF forum users in here and if so what was the reason you moved to MyBB ??

Thanks.

============

EDIT :: Strange this was moved to a forum whose description is "General discussions that aren't about MyBB".. This thread isnt about the current (1.6) myBB ??
I also come from a background of using other forum software. I found MyBB to be the most flexible, easily upgraded, and extensible. It had the base package I needed and was intuitive. This was years ago and imho in the free forum software nothing even comes close to MyBB.
I came from SMF. Its modification system sucks (way to not cleverly mask extensive file edits!) and it used pure PHP templates, which, with me being awful at PHP, sucked. Confused
The thing that made MyBB my choice was it's ease of use(at the time, others have made usability updates since then). But, it's Plugin system is what keeps me around. But usability can be improved on your own site through template edits as well so it shouldn't stop you from using it.
came for the free, stay for the xthreads
Hm, would have to be easy customization & the friendly community!
Easy to use when I started on this.
I started running my forum on smf and then joined a forum running on mybb and i quite liked it so i did a conversion and liked what i found,also it had some of the features that i wanted as core not as malfunctioning plugins for example the feature that shows who voted for which option in your polls.

(2013-03-04, 10:02 AM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]I came from SMF. Its modification system sucks (way to not cleverly mask extensive file edits!) and it used pure PHP templates, which, with me being awful at PHP, sucked. Confused

I also had this issue with templates in smf and like the fact the template system in mybb is html, which i can work with.
I was recommended to Mybb by a friend, never going to leave now. It's what I've grown accustomed to, and quite frankly prefer.
I just got inspired from forums. On my most favourite forum of that time, running MyBB 1.6.0. I also wanted to have a board like that, I came across MyBB by clicking on the bottom copyright links. I read the documentation but i got confused so I left it. I went searching for softwares and found Zetaboards. I have been using that for past 1 year. Until one day, a member recommended me MyBB. I rediscovered MyBB at that time, and with some expert guidance, I managed to install MyBB and take hold of all the features of MyBB. Since then, no free forum software has proved itself more worthy than MyBB.

Software like PHPBB3 and SMF are not really feasible to me, and their ACP is much more like a jumbled trash can to me, contrary to popular belief. And the file and plugin system of PHPBB3 and SMF is so way too messy, I'd feel like puking.
Pages: 1 2 3 4