MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Future of MYBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
You are walking the same path i did before.
Mybb is great and 'have it all' in one piece, nicely managed user accounts,
PM's, user groups and everything, without need for multiple conflicting plugins for CMS.

Maybe one day, someone will make plugin for mybb that will enable CMS like presentation method i introduced earlier
because technically mybb core and template system is that flexible its very possible to do (even in current 1.6)
It just requires a little different perspective, where instead of calling it 'forum'
one would separate content from presentation and try imagine how presentation could be done in CMS way.
And then it would be possible to become not only mybb forum, but also mybb CMS, and mybb everything else.
(Template would be very simple and have slots where administrator can inserted content modules,
and modules would be content where administrator can define how its displayed (show as article / post / comment)
The same way plugins would be modules and its output could be inserted into template slots .

How easy - no template edits / html insertions, and how flexible when can simply drag and drop modules to slots.

Who knows...
maybe even mybb 3.0 will be like this in future and will devour not only other forums but CMS's as wellToungue
I would love to see something like plain-text-DB version of mybb, or the option to choose no-sql on the set up stage. I really dont like where all the bulleting boards are moving, gettting way too monstrous.
(2013-04-27, 11:28 PM)lukoie Wrote: [ -> ]I would love to see something like plain-text-DB version of mybb, or the option to choose no-sql on the set up stage. I really dont like where all the bulleting boards are moving, gettting way too monstrous.

I doubt we'll be doing that. Text files are inefficient unless you're caching everything in memory. It doesn't really solve anything. MyBB won't ever turn in to some monstrous application. Performance is something we consider with every release. Smile
(2013-04-27, 10:50 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]You are walking the same path i did before.

So Avril, can you show me where you now? Can I look at your "CMSBB" or maybe your forum?
(2013-04-25, 05:33 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-18, 12:49 PM)avril Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB is awesome and mega flexible CMS engine that in skilled and knowledgeable hand
is equal or better than many CMS platforms.

Who said forum's can not become categories, posts cannot be articles,
and replies cannot be comments ? Everything is there and its is perfectly managed by MyBB,
It have data managing tools, categories, articles, users, groups, Pm's, user privilages,
everything and much more than joomla CMS itself have.

CMS like WP or Joomla have articles, categories, tags for articles. How to make this on Mybb?

If you're advanced ini PHP, then it is possible to make (CURRENT) MyBB like anything you want with just a little trick. I am noob in PHP, but I do understand How the MyBB core's work little bit. I remember someone said, the (CURRENT) MyBB Member Group Management is one of the best ever seen comparing with any cms. Very complex and complete...

Avril already expain very well. For PHP noob, you can do anything with just XThread, PHP Template and PluginLibrary as a starting. But, now I learn and made my own system and creativity without them. At least, for current MyBB 1.6x

But, I dont know for the MyBB 2.0? Since MyBB does not use their own "fully thinking", but use and depend on 3rd party Framework called Yii.. Because for what I am thinking is "If someone knew framework, they can build anything, even MyBB or Forum itself" Big Grin
(2013-04-28, 07:10 AM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]If you're advanced in PHP, then it is possible to make (CURRENT) MyBB like anything you want with just a little trick.

If...
But how many forum\site\blog owners advanced in PHP?
You don't need to be all that advanced at all. And even if you don't know PHP, you can always hire developers willing to do the work.
(2013-04-28, 12:23 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt we'll be doing that. Text files are inefficient unless you're caching everything in memory. It doesn't really solve anything. MyBB won't ever turn in to some monstrous application. Performance is something we consider with every release. Smile
Dear Nathan, would you consider to add those two functionalities i missed very much in mybb, that i described here, please?
well if mybb starts integrating great plugins out there to the core, it would become the very best one

such as different forum icons
overview
Who has been online today
Additional Usergroup Images
WYSIWYG editor

and similar ones that is widely used by members
I'm not sure any of those are needed in the core. Plugins exist to extend the software as needed. Personally I wouldn't have the need for any of those plugins on my forum. Some people will, and that's why they exist.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6