MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EU fines Microsoft $731 million all over a broken promise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Article - Click here

All I can say is WOW. I know Microsoft is a huge company and had somewhere around 50 billion dollars in revenue last year or something like that (don't quote me), but still. almost 3/4 of a billion USD. Am I missing something?

Opinions?
More reason to hate MS.
So you have a technical error for months and months.

Something smells fishy.
Although I don't fully support Microsoft's business practices, this EU antitrust law is BS. I don't understand why it is even a problem, Microsoft releases its operating system, so Microsoft should be able to release it with a browser. They are not forcing you to use IE, you may install anything you like. Why doesn't Apple get their hands slapped for releasing iOS with safari? For a while, that was the ONLY browser you could use.

It's stupid, Microsoft also releases Windows with a firewall, notepad, calculator, antivirus, and every other application. Should they have to give the user a choice whilst installing to install numerous variations of each product? No. That would be ridiculous. Imagine the problems if windows shipped with IE, and another browser? Which would it be? Chrome? Firefox? Safari or Opera? All of them? Imagine the issues there, it wouldn't fit on a DVD, or you'd need an Internet connection to download all of this optional software.

Nobody is forcing the user to buy a windows laptop or PC, that is their choice. If they honestly even care what browser they are using, they likely have the ability to install another. It's a load of crap, Microsoft provides their own Operating System so they SHOULD be able to ship it with THEIR own software.

This is like fining Audi because they don't give the user an option to install the seats from a Fiat or a Lamborghini.
Microsoft is a monopoly. Different rules apply.
It's only monopoly because Apple refuses to let others release their software on hardware that isn't theirs too. And, linux isn't able to pick up traction because of the lack of support from third party developers on professional tools.

In other words Microsoft continues to punished for success over 20 years when it's bad practices are better than they used to be. There is only so much they can do to create competition. If no one can put out something of comparable quality and actually market it to the public what is MS supposed to do? Buy them and compete with themselves?
Yes, those are definitely the only reasons. Good job.

(Apple did once allow their OS to ship on other company's machines. It almost destroyed the company. And Microsoft is building their own machines now, too.)
(2013-03-07, 01:37 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, those are definitely the only reasons. Good job.

(Apple did once allow their OS to ship on other company's machines. It almost destroyed the company. And Microsoft is building their own machines now, too.)

If you were referring to their partnership with IBM, that was a very long time ago.

Supposedly, that was back when the AIM Alliance was still in effect, back in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM_alliance

Then there were these lists, ranging in the 1990's. Once again, nothing in the 2000's.

http://lowendmac.com/clones/index.shtml

Other than that, I have not come across any other partnerships between apple and other companies using Apples OS. I may be wrong, so please correct if I am. Accordingly, for future reference, Steve Jobs returned in 1997 and cancelled their clone program. Would they do better now if they were to use clones, would be unknown.

But yes, you are right in the fact that apple would suffer if they shipped the os to other companies. This, in my opinion, is due to the fact that apple products have a feeling luxury and not having to worry about hardware for the average user.

On a side note, has anyone ever realized that something that includes microsoft, always turns into an apple/microsoft debate. May be just the nature of things I guess.
(2013-03-07, 01:29 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Microsoft is a monopoly. Different rules apply.

And why should they for a damn browser? It's not like Microsoft is seeing soaring profits because of Internet Explorer. It's not taking away profits from third parties (because most if not all browsers are free). I agree there should be antitrust laws in place, but the notion that they cannot ship with their own browser is stupid. It's outdated, we're not still in a time where it's Netscape vs IE, there are many alternatives and no restrictions on installing them.

Why isn't google fined for having a monopoly on the search engine market? Or is Bing actually a serious competitor? xD
Google is under serious anti-trust investigations, actually. These allegations against Microsoft are mostly based on investigations from quite a while ago. People are quick to forget Microsoft's dark past.

Either way, Microsoft made an agreement and broke it. Microsoft seems OK with the outcome.

(Also, I'm not referring to a partnership with IBM – there was a point when Mac "clones" were rampant)
Pages: 1 2