MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb or xenforo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
True that pavemen. Development on the core has definitely stepped up again since the lawsuit was settled. Hopefully the same shall happen with themes and plugins. I can't wait to see how their responsive design in 1.2 turns out for definite.
(2013-03-18, 07:38 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]It kind of does. 99% of XF forums look exactly the same as every other XF forum. The main problem with the platform is that there are very few designers pushing it to the limit with most just being colour variations.
Very true.
vBulletin.

No seriously, why are you asking on the OFFICIAL MYBB SUPPORT FORUMS. We are probably all a little bias.

I'd say MyBB, because I like it.
XF just has a way bigger learning curve than MyBB, you can actually do a lot more with XF's system.

So yeah it's really just about your experience level/budget/willingness to learn.

(@euantor XenBlock is coming from AD soon, responsive too Big Grin)
If you're new, go for MyBB. Remember MyBB forums can be successful as any other forum. It all depends on your niche requirements and talent. Not every niche needs extra social features, some communities need something simple yet powerful, that's where MyBB comes in.

(2013-03-18, 07:38 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]It kind of does. 99% of XF forums look exactly the same as every other XF forum. The main problem with the platform is that there are very few designers pushing it to the limit with most just being colour variations.

So true. MyBB's community has an edge on this one.
To be honest, a lot of MyBB forums look the same too. There aren't many you can link that are beautifully unique or that a lot of the core MyBB components have changed. You could probably link more Xenforo forums that look different, but maybe because more people use Xenforo. Just take one trip into the showcase section to see exactly what I mean though.
That's true too I guess. Most people these days tend to stick to similar styles.
(2013-03-19, 12:20 PM)Xanth Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, a lot of MyBB forums look the same too. There aren't many you can link that are beautifully unique or that a lot of the core MyBB components have changed. You could probably link more Xenforo forums that look different, but maybe because more people use Xenforo. Just take one trip into the showcase section to see exactly what I mean though.
There might be people who like default theme layouts, like me. I'm not a fancy thing lover.

Keeping that aside, it's not how many forums I can find differently styled which are using MyBB but "how many different MyBB themes" I can find which might make one think which software this might be for a moment; you know themes which woes you.

Audentio, Tushar (PixelMonkey), Shade and many others makes some amazing theme which changes the layout vastly, whereas I personally saw no or very few such xF themes which don't look identical to default xF theme at all.

Like I said, many people at MyBB might not use "completely revamped" themes but such themes do exist in MyBB, whereas it's very scarce to find in xF from my personal experience.

Just my two cents.
I used both myBB and xenforo. I'd say mybb is the best of the free forum software and it has everything I need.

xenforo is much newer code wise, but lacks things that mybb has feature wise. Overall its a great paid forum package.

Keeping this in mind it's all about what you think will be best for you and your site. Both have their strong points Smile
There are a bunch of good themes for XenForo. You've got stuff like:

Flexile
Pretty much anything at Xenfocus
Razor Themes
And we have some

At least that's my opinion. xD
Pages: 1 2 3 4