MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mybb or xenforo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Yes, there are a few decent ones, but there aren't all that many that really jump out at me as worth the $20+ price tag they often have. The Xenfocus ones are just re-codes of IPB themes and Ehren has given up on XF for now anyway.
(2013-03-19, 12:20 PM)Xanth Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, a lot of MyBB forums look the same too. There aren't many you can link that are beautifully unique or that a lot of the core MyBB components have changed. You could probably link more Xenforo forums that look different, but maybe because more people use Xenforo. Just take one trip into the showcase section to see exactly what I mean though.

I like to think my forum is unique design wise i could be wrong, I would like an audentio theme but just don't have the $200-$300 dollars quoted
(2013-03-19, 02:15 PM)marcgo15 Wrote: [ -> ]xenforo is much newer code wise, but lacks things that mybb has feature wise. Overall its a great paid forum package.

I've never seen someone say Xenforo lacks in features compared to MyBB. I'd say it's the other way around personally.

(2013-03-19, 03:06 PM)adbrad Wrote: [ -> ]I like to think my forum is unique design wise i could be wrong, I would like an audentio theme but just don't have the $200-$300 dollars quoted

You have a real issue with spam bots though bro.
(2013-03-19, 07:04 PM)Xanth Wrote: [ -> ]You have a real issue with spam bots though bro.

I know i have a spam issue i have spam measures in place but i guess they might not be spam bots but rather human spammers.
any ideas on how to reduce the spam signups would be greatly appreciated.
No way are those human spammers lol.

I suggest using Spamalyser. I'm not sure how you have such an issue with them when you have both captcha and security questions. Security questions is the only thing we have and we never get spam bots unless they're human.
Replacing the footer copyright with an image of the copyright worked wonders for us.

Edit: Sometimes reading a thread that's getting offtopic, I forget what thread I'm in. xD
I tend to think everyone views XF themes as the same because of the sidebar? I feel there are better skins for XF compared to any other paif software (maybe just lacking IPB) plus they XF have more premium designers IMO. MyBB only really have MinerSkinz and Audentio actively releasing premium themes.
(2013-03-19, 10:26 PM)Roach Wrote: [ -> ]I tend to think everyone views XF themes as the same because of the sidebar? I feel there are better skins for XF compared to any other paif software (maybe just lacking IPB) plus they XF have more premium designers IMO. MyBB only really have MinerSkinz and Audentio actively releasing premium themes.

I have yet to see something "new" theme-wise for XenForo. Not just because of the sidebar but it just seems to be colour changes, a few placement changes etc...

Nothing to really call "new"

Though I am sure people will pick up development now that XenForo is in the clear!
Keep this in mind.

How much energy do you plan putting into your forums? Is it over-saturated where you will probably be a tiny fish in a huge ocean? Or will you be a dominant force.

I like MyBB, but I also own 2 vBulletin forums that are very well established and busy. If I'm putting up a new forum (which I'm in the process of right now), I decided to go the MyBB route. Not because of $ because I would like to try XF at some point as well, but because MyBB has a great emerging group behind it and I've been a lurker on the site/forums for a long time coming to this point. As an old BBS guy, MyBB really has a "feel" to it that reminds me of the WWiV days almost.

MyBB can handle the large scale forums, your server will need the upgrade first! It's a great platform, simple to use (I could teach mods/admins the basics faster on here than on my vB sites for instance), and the less is more approach really is true.

My only gripe, I wish the Mods section here at the mothership site was better organized instead of going through dozens of pages, but that has no bearing on which site to run IMO.
(2013-03-21, 04:42 PM)Cowboy Wrote: [ -> ]Keep this in mind.

How much energy do you plan putting into your forums? Is it over-saturated where you will probably be a tiny fish in a huge ocean? Or will you be a dominant force.

I like MyBB, but I also own 2 vBulletin forums that are very well established and busy. If I'm putting up a new forum (which I'm in the process of right now), I decided to go the MyBB route. Not because of $ because I would like to try XF at some point as well, but because MyBB has a great emerging group behind it and I've been a lurker on the site/forums for a long time coming to this point. As an old BBS guy, MyBB really has a "feel" to it that reminds me of the WWiV days almost.

MyBB can handle the large scale forums, your server will need the upgrade first! It's a great platform, simple to use (I could teach mods/admins the basics faster on here than on my vB sites for instance), and the less is more approach really is true.

My only gripe, I wish the Mods section here at the mothership site was better organized instead of going through dozens of pages, but that has no bearing on which site to run IMO.

XenForo / IPB are both applications that can "handle" popular forums as well as MyBB (XF even more so). They all use modern web technologies so not sure thats relevant to comparison.
Pages: 1 2 3 4