MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin panel editor! urgh!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(original about the file template system hack)

However i do not recommend that other way as somethings do not parse properly using the way of files. I do dont get with absense of files as you say about download and upload of files however people who use localhost (which are alot of designers and coders) have to use a (imo very bad) admin panel editor. At least redesign it using some javascript and thinking about the way it is going to be set out. Also template file name are a little off the mark. People wanting to edit the forum headers won't know instantly that is forumbit_depth1_cat or something. Cmon be nice to us.

As i said about javascript being used, it could be used nicely to make it so that it saves without reloading. I know there is a save and continue option however javascript would be alot nicer. Also on large templates it wouldnt mean you had to scroll back down again.

I'd also like this for the css editor. It is actually harder using the little boxes you have set up for background and such. I sometimes need to copy chunks of css to be reused however with your box method i have to fill the gaps and copy it box at a time. I don't think that much thought was put in to the designer side of things. People wishing to actually make something unique based on mybb. I dont mean change the images and a little front colour swap but full on complete change.

So many designs are just css changing theres nothing exciting popping up like over at Vb. Yes i know mybb is free and all and i know that this will be completely ignored by anyone of supreme being on the mybb team but please do think about it logically for the designers among us and even those who are new. Syntax highlighting in a familiar environment is a lot nicer for beginner and even the advanced ie. our own editors.
I have NEVER seen a syntax highlighter in a textbox for html/css.
Well i was more talking about editors there, and you havent? where have you been? I see no reason why there shouldnt be.
If your talking about an external editor (like dreamweaver), then yes I've seen those. Where have I been? Lots of places. School, home, soccer practice. (Don't be rude to me. Trust me, you don't want me mad at you.) As far as I know theres no way (without a WYSIWYG editor) to have a highlighter in a text box.
lol, Immersion, be nice to any development team because "you need them" and when they're writing something for free, they surely can live without you. (you hate me already, don't you? Many do hate me for being straightforward) I have seen many users having the same attitude, repeatedly.

Anyways, I do agree using some javascript will make things easier when it comes to template editing, but few things can be made easier even without using javascript/DOM/AJAX. For example, using 2 iframes, and once clicked on a template item on the upper template, it loads in the lower iframe. Then clicking on save in the lower iframe saves the template and then reloads it in the lower iframe.

Immersion Wrote:I'd also like this for the css editor. It is actually harder using the little boxes you have set up for background and such. I sometimes need to copy chunks of css to be reused however with your box method i have to fill the gaps and copy it box at a time. I don't think that much thought was put in to the designer side of things. People wishing to actually make something unique based on mybb. I dont mean change the images and a little front colour swap but full on complete change.
Couldn't have said it better. I was like kicking myself for choosing MyBB when I was creating the template first time, due to the CSS editor! There should be an option to "go advanced" where the CSS file is displayed in full and can be edited right there.
Quote:Couldn't have said it better. I was like kicking myself for choosing MyBB when I was creating the template first time, due to the CSS editor! There should be an option to "go advanced" where the CSS file is displayed in full and can be edited right there.

Oh god that would be nice! I have grown used to the mybb template system but it's still lacking in good development tools. Heck the search template feature still has bugs.

I often need to copy complete templates into a txt editor just so I can see what I am doing...then paste back into mybb for saving it. It's a bit of a hassle.

Also when editing the css...it should have a checkbox similar to the templates where you can reload the css page to do more editing. This would be a GREAT help.
labrocca Wrote:
Quote:Couldn't have said it better. I was like kicking myself for choosing MyBB when I was creating the template first time, due to the CSS editor! There should be an option to "go advanced" where the CSS file is displayed in full and can be edited right there.

Oh god that would be nice! I have grown used to the mybb template system but it's still lacking in good development tools. Heck the search template feature still has bugs.

Then why don't you report it So We Can Fix It! You don't expect it to fix itself do you?
please note that where have you been? wasn't really that rude at all or wasnt intended to be.

Also syntax highlighting has been done. Probably not in a text box like this one here but using javascript and such it should be possibly.

About your iframe thing, im sure javascript would be a whole load easier. And just gives it that nice feel. I know i still get excited by the quick edit stuff.(maybe im just sad Toungue)
Immersion Wrote:Well i was more talking about editors there, and you havent? where have you been? I see no reason why there shouldnt be.

Haha you think we use textareas to develop MyBB?

* Dennis Tsang rolls on the floor laughing.
I think DennisTT got the wrong end of the stick.
Pages: 1 2