MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: moving from PHPBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys, I just want to know the cons of moving from phpbb to mybb?
I have no problem with phpbb at this point, I'm just leaving my options wide and I believe there are benefits of mybb at this point, but I'm not sure if its worth switching my forum over?

What are the advantages?

is it worth it and why?

how would I move my Database etc to myBB?
Its actually worth it.

PHPBB exploits are being discovered every day, however, nothing can beat myBB Security.
As far as addons goes, the addons you most probably use are for use here in MyBB as well.
You can use the MyBB merge system to port your PHPBB database to MyBB.
As for the themes, you can ask someone to port your theme to MyBB.
(2013-03-30, 08:19 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]Its actually worth it.

PHPBB exploits are being discovered every day, however, nothing can beat myBB Security.
As far as addons goes, the addons you most probably use are for use here in MyBB as well.

thanks alot for your answer
who can port my theme? it is this
http://www.m-a-styles.de/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7

any info on merge system?

phpBB 3.x (2006) has had 0 major/moderate security vulnerability. It has had 6 minor security vulnerabilities. You can view details here. phpBB's last vulnerability was 2010-11-22 (3 years ago).

MyBB 1.x (2005) has had 152 vulnerabilities. 6% of those were major, 2% were critical, 5% were moderate. MyBB's last security vulnerability was on 2012-12-17 (4 months ago). You can view details here.

Secunia is an industry leader in security advisories, especially in web applications.
ohh wow :L ok I'm uninstall MyBB and installing a fresh copy of PhpBB
(2013-03-31, 12:49 AM)UKB Wrote: [ -> ]

phpBB 3.x (2006) has had 0 major/moderate security vulnerability. It has had 6 minor security vulnerabilities. You can view details here. phpBB's last vulnerability was 2010-11-22 (3 years ago).

MyBB 1.x (2005) has had 152 vulnerabilities. 6% of those were major, 2% were critical, 5% were moderate. MyBB's last security vulnerability was on 2012-12-17 (4 months ago). You can view details here.

Secunia is an industry leader in security advisories, especially in web applications.

You've got 5 bullets in your arse for that.
Those statistics are of 7 years ago, ancient.

Nothing beats MyBB now. Nothing.
(2013-03-31, 04:48 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]

You say those statistics are from 7 years ago? MyBB had 2 vulnerabilities in 2012, the current year is 2013. phpBB's last vulnerability was 3 years ago. Even MyBB's last release was a security release (and it was an SQL Injection so relatively major compared to phpBB which has only ever had security bypasses [i.e. seeing the posts in the moderation queue in feeds, which was patched a few days after the release which included it] and XSS vulnerabilities). I'm not sure quite how that makes MyBB beat phpBB in security, in 'ancient' or modern/recent times?

Please can you back up your statement 'Nothing beats MyBB now. Nothing'. Please don't make statements without any hard facts backing them up, which you have done for your previous two posts. Could you also explain how I have '5 bullets in my arse for that'? All I did was state some statistics, I never said in my last post that phpBB was better nor did I say it was more secure, however the reasonable conclusion from those statistics is that it [phpBB] has a better security record.
(2013-03-31, 09:23 PM)UKB Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-31, 04:48 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]

You say those statistics are from 7 years ago? MyBB had 2 vulnerabilities in 2012, the current year is 2013. phpBB's last vulnerability was 3 years ago. Even MyBB's last release was a security release (and it was an SQL Injection so relatively major compared to phpBB which has only ever had security bypasses [i.e. seeing the posts in the moderation queue in feeds, which was patched a few days after the release which included it] and XSS vulnerabilities). I'm not sure quite how that makes MyBB beat phpBB in security, in 'ancient' or modern/recent times?

Please can you back up your statement 'Nothing beats MyBB now. Nothing'. Please don't make statements without any hard facts backing them up, which you have done for your previous two posts. Could you also explain how I have '5 bullets in my arse for that'? All I did was state some statistics, I never said in my last post that phpBB was better nor did I say it was more secure, however the reasonable conclusion from those statistics is that it [phpBB] has a better security record.

PLEASE NOTE: The statistics provided should NOT be used to compare the overall security of products against one another. It is IMPORTANT to understand what the below comments mean when using the statistics, especially when using the statistics to compare the vulnerability aspects of different products.
(2013-03-30, 08:19 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]PHPBB exploits are being discovered every day...

This is so disingenuous and just blatantly shows nothing but bias. If you have statistics to back up this statement, please post them (or link to them) but you should really refrain from making such unfounded statements. By doing so you do a disservice to not only phpBB but to your "reputation" as well.
(2013-03-31, 04:48 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]You've got 5 bullets in your arse for that.

That's a bold statement to make. Nothing is unhackable. Look at how big corporations and governments can be broken into.

Just because MyBB forums haven't been targeted by big hacking groups doesn't make MyBB completely invincible.
Pages: 1 2