MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you handle newly registered users ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just a question. How do you guys handle users on your own forums, and by that I mean specifically those that register but never write or do anything ? I am currently deciding what to do with those that just register to be registered. In my opinion if you don't want to participate in a forum, you don't need to register. At least a "Hi" or little something would be nice in my opinion. Otherwise you end up having lots of users that are just placebo so to speak. Do you have rules in place to handle those or more to clarify how this is being handled or do you have some sort of mechanism in place that user have to write something in a specific topic (if that can be arranged) before being able to read anything in the forum or a specific section ? Any info is appreciate on how you handle this. Wink

Wolfseye
Nothing. If they don't want to contribute any posts, that's fine.
It all depends why they are joining Wolfseye and what your forum is for.

I have a forum where you don't have to be registered to see threads and you can download the mods as a guest. You do have to be registered to post though.

Even in this situation, I get people registering for the board and never posting. Sometimes, they register as a point of support (people I know from other sites are registered as members but never post) - sometimes they register because they think there has to be a hidden members forum or something.

Personally, I don't want a load of members cluttering the place up - if you do want members then you need to make it clear that joining up gains you X privileges and if you dont post in Y time you will have to rejoin (and you purge the non participating members).
Why do you guys care if you have inactive users in your database? They don't exactly take up much space.
I have the prune system set up to prune members who've never posted every 90 days. This is mostly just so usernames aren't taken up by non contributing users and so my stats don't look so falsely inflated.
With only 480 members most of which don't post some of them have posted in the past i just leave them, with users register and don't activate there account, then they are deleted after 14 days.
(2013-04-02, 02:50 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you guys care if you have inactive users in your database? They don't exactly take up much space.

@brad - I don't. I don't bother to prune or anything - just trying to help Wolfseye.
I've pruned about 1.4 million signups. After a few weeks if you don't post then you don't need the account and I don't need the waste of space.

I've also pruned 8 million posts which is 25% of all posts on HF.

So to answer your question...prune them. If you want to get more activity out of the registrations I suggest you carefully review your policies and content. Without a link to your site we're not able to do that for you.
(2013-04-02, 07:12 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]After a few weeks if you don't post then you don't need the account and I don't need the waste of space.

Thank you guys, I will go with that suggestion. Wink

Cheers

Wolfseye
I really don't see the benefit of pruning them. We have had so many users who registered in the first month or so who return for special events (random RAW episodes, or PPV's) months later and post sporadically. I can understand the benefit if your site is ridiculously large, but for now, I don't think pruning users is necessary.
Pages: 1 2 3 4