MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LESS CSS Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2013-04-29, 08:12 AM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]If the rest of the team are in favour, I'd be happy to add it while I make other changes to the style system. Personally I prefer SASS these days though. Not sure if there's a PHP absed compiler for it though.

If the whole team is using Sass for their un-related projects, then why not use it on MyBB to since most of you guys know how to use it? Does Not require managing a 3Rd Party library anyways since user has to install Sass themselves on their machine. It should only be used for developing themes anyways.

Would decrease CSS modifications/edits a ton. That would be a dream come true.
I can't speak for the rest of the team, but I use it for pretty much every project I work on. But it would require a library to work as I intend. Users could write SASS directly within the ACP and it would be compiled by the system when creating cache files.
(2013-04-29, 10:51 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]I can't speak for the rest of the team, but I use it for pretty much every project I work on. But it would require a library to work as I intend. Users could write SASS directly within the ACP and it would be compiled by the system when creating cache files.

Always thought SASS was a local development only thing. What library?

I forgot MyBB only always template edits in in ACP unless it's exported as a single .xml file. You guys ever consider allowing export templates as their own files?
Are you F'in kidding me? You want to over complicate the very simple CSS that currently exists in favor of LESS/SASS which will require additional libs and scripts to run? WTF

I'm so tired of people with their webmaster trick bags that do nothing but create more work for admins and present no real advantage to end users.

LESS requires a 60k js file and would still require CSS pages.
SASS requires a package install on the server to run.

ARE YOU GUYS INSANE?
(2013-04-29, 11:01 PM)kdevs Wrote: [ -> ]Always thought SASS was a local development only thing. What library?

It is, but MyBB stores CSS in the database. You can't just run SASS and have it output to a single file (not sure how feasible it would be to write directly to the cache file?). So we need a compiler to parse the SASS (that you'd write in the Admin CP) into pure CSS (and write that to the cache).

(2013-04-29, 11:04 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]LESS requires a 60k js file and would still require CSS pages.
SASS requires a package install on the server to run.

ARE YOU GUYS INSANE?

You clearly don't get it. Both LESS and SASS are for development, i.e. to be used by the developer. In production it all gets compiled to CSS. You're not supposed to keep the JS file in LESS. And you don't need SASS installed on the server.
The only way I could see us doing it is if we adopted LESS ourselves. That won't be happening in the 1.x series (if at all).
(2013-04-29, 11:18 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]You clearly don't get it. Both LESS and SASS are for development, i.e. to be used by the developer. In production it all gets compiled to CSS. You're not supposed to keep the JS file in LESS. And you don't need SASS installed on the server.

Yeah I didn't catch that. But I've never had a problem developing a theme under the current system.
Even though there's nothing wrong with CSS itself, LESS has some advantages. Take a look at the website Labrocca Smile there's some pretty cool stuff it can do!

http://lesscss.org/
I don't get how LESS is better when the example itself requires more code than it's output.

http://less2css.org/

Straight CSS is not complicated. Why would I need to learn more functions and language crap to write basic CSS?

http://lesscss.org/#reference

I think someone had too much time on their hands. As if anyone really needs all that anyways.

I really don't see why the trend in webmastering is to complicate every simple task possible.
Regardless of how the compiler would work, the option to write pure CSS into the stylesheet, the option to write in LESS/SASS would be available to those who prefer it to CSS. I might prefer to write in LESS, so when I edit a Stylesheet I write LESS, which is transformed to pure CSS, while you might like pure CSS which is saved like it is now. Much like adding a Markdown parser to replies and topics, it would only parse what's there. If it's not LESS, it's not touched.
Pages: 1 2 3 4