MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to upload and install webmin on VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I bought a semi-unmanaged VPS from Hostgator but don't know how to upload and install webmin, can you please help me out?
Have you checked the Webmin site at all or even tried Google?

http://www.webmin.com/deb.html
I did but I don't know what's the difference between solaris and debian. I don't know how to find out which type I have.
Which distribution did you choose when you created the VPS? You'll have had to choose between a selection such as CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu etc.
Oh I picked CentOS 6.
(2013-05-06, 10:29 PM)Joker552 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I picked CentOS 6.

Why would you choose such an advanced distro if you're new to Linux? I was also under the impression HostGator VPSes came with Plesk for free, why are you turning that down for Webmin?
I highly suggest you do as CAwesome suggests and use Plesk, if not, here is how to install the RPM of webmin. http://www.webmin.com/rpm.html
Nothing wrong with learning to use webmin imho. Fairly simple features allow you to assist in server administration from a web interface. Plesk could be overkill and also you will need a license to run it. It's very nice if you don't have to be dependent on software like Plesk, Cpanel, or Directadmin. You will also likely learn more about system administration.
(2013-05-07, 02:36 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-06, 10:29 PM)Joker552 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I picked CentOS 6.

Why would you choose such an advanced distro if you're new to Linux? I was also under the impression HostGator VPSes came with Plesk for free, why are you turning that down for Webmin?

The two smallest plans they offer don't even offer plesk or cPanel.
(2013-05-07, 07:47 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The two smallest plans they offer don't even offer plesk or cPanel.

Yeah, but the two smallest plans are also too small for a panel unless your site is relatively inactive.
Pages: 1 2