MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyone else use Laravel PHP Framework?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2013-05-19, 11:16 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Laravel is awesome. I don't think I need to say much more. It's a framework which acts like a framework and not a half built web application.

I think I feel the difference in comparison to some Frameworks is that with Laravel you build on top of it vs some which you build your application into the Framework. Even the fact you can use your own directory structure imho is very appealing for a project like MyBB. We could likely keep many of the main pages like showthread, forumdisplay, and such which means we don't have to break our links if we don't want to.
(2013-05-19, 11:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]We could likely keep many of the main pages like showthread, forumdisplay, and such which means we don't have to break our links if we don't want to.

I was going to say "or just rewrite and 301 redirect the links in .htaccess" but then I remembered that that's how you kill Apache (and, by extension, the server) when serving a board like HF. Toungue

I agree though about how you don't build your application into something with Laravel. I tried a couple of other frameworks before and didn't like them. I never really figured out what I didn't like, but now that you mention it, I think that's it: the app is already built in some frameworks, and you have to work around that in a sort of cumbersome way. Laravel is easy to use, and it starts you with just the "wheel" code (don't write classes for stupid stuff, get right to work).
(2013-05-19, 11:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]We could likely keep many of the main pages like showthread, forumdisplay, and such which means we don't have to break our links if we don't want to.

(2013-05-20, 03:57 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]I was going to say "or just rewrite and 301 redirect the links in .htaccess" but then I remembered that that's how you kill Apache (and, by extension, the server) when serving a board like HF. Toungue

Route::filter('old_forumdisplay', function()
{
    if(Input::get('fid'))
    {
        return Redirect::to('forum/'.Input::get('fid'), 301);
    }
});

Route::get('forumdisplay.php', array('before' => 'old_forumdisplay', function()
{
    return Redirect::to('/');
})); 

Very basic and not too intelligent, but you get the idea. No need for messing around with server configuration. And yes, you would need mod_rewrite enabled on Apache servers otherwise index.php would be included in every URL.
(2013-05-19, 11:09 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]It would be one of my top choices for a Framework too for MyBB to use if only because it's documentation is amazing and I feel the Framework has the simplicity that MyBB has in the past done well to follow. Having every bell and whistle in a Framework imho doesn't make it the best. It makes it the most bloated. MyBB should be on TOP of the Framework and it should be a backend. But some Frameworks are so bloated they actually take over the project.

That's my view and sorry to get sidetracked so to get back on track. I think Laravel is an excellent framework.

I'd be in love with MyBB if they choose this framework.
Quote:And yes, you would need mod_rewrite enabled on Apache servers otherwise index.php would be included in every URL.

That would greatly increasly big board CPU usage. I would opt to never update my big boards if MyBB goes with a framework forcing me to choose between mod_rewrite or losing all my indexed urls. People have nearly a decades worth of links that will be lost when MyBB uses a framework that will require this.

SEO is the bread and butter of many webmasters.
If you're still using Apache to serve a board at that size that would be a problem (and probably not the only one). Have you tried switching to NGINX and php-fpm? There's very little CPU usage with NGINX. I know you've used it for static content but it works just as well for dynamic content too.
Nginx is not an option due to the lack of security modules I require to serve my site. I run Nginx for all static (non-php) content.

And that still doesn't address the fact of all current indexed pages would break.

Big question: Is Mybb going to care about making sure legacy pages like showthread.php?tid=1 still resolve?

I'm actually about to setup a new server. I might toy with NGINX and php-fpm and see what barriers I face.
Quote:Is Mybb going to care about making sure legacy pages like showthread.php?tid=1 still resolve?

I don't see there being any issue if we permanently redirect them to the new URL scheme. All Google needs to do is reindex your site. That shouldn't take too long and visitors will be redirected smoothly.
Yeah, lovin' it. Haven't used it for that long but I already like it a LOT more than CodeIgniter or FuelPHP.
(2013-05-22, 09:29 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Is Mybb going to care about making sure legacy pages like showthread.php?tid=1 still resolve?

I don't see there being any issue if we permanently redirect them to the new URL scheme. All Google needs to do is reindex your site. That shouldn't take too long and visitors will be redirected smoothly.

And every existing link goes dead too. The risk involved is way higher than the reward. I have 12 million pages indexed. I have tens of thousands of in-bound links.
Pages: 1 2 3