MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to remove ?pid=570#pid570
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am using google seo plugin for search engine friendly url but at the end of the url some ?pid=570#pid570 or ?pid=xxx is adding . how to remove it.
I want to know this too
You don't remove it. Doing so will break all your "View last post in thread" links. Google SEO automatically adds a canonical link so Google treats all thread links as one.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...nical.html
Thats an anchor to jump to the particular post. Its a standard HTML.
If you remove that you will not be reached at the target post in a thread.

I don't think that has any impact to SEO things.
(2013-08-07, 05:56 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Thats an anchor to jump to the particular post. Its a standard HTML.

It's not about impacting SEO , but the URL looks much better to users without that.

Many forums have it , for eg check this URL http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-...t-dos.html

There are no pid's.

(2013-08-07, 05:55 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You don't remove it. Doing so will break all your "View last post in thread" links. Google SEO automatically adds a canonical link so Google treats all thread links as one.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...nical.html

Hi Nathan,

But many forums, don't have it. Like in the eg. I gave above.
^ in that referred forum, link of page xyz is like this --> mainurl-xyz.html
and link of post#abcdef is like this --> mainurl#postabcdef

they have removed actual link to the last post on the index page and actual post link
hence, it is not easy to reach latest post of a thread on that forum !
(2013-08-07, 05:56 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]Thats an anchor to jump to the particular post. Its a standard HTML.

(2013-08-07, 09:22 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ in that referred forum, link of page xyz is like this --> mainurl-xyz.html
and link of post#abcdef is like this --> mainurl#postabcdef

they have removed actual link to the last post on the index page and actual post link
hence, it is not easy to reach latest post of a thread on that forum !

Honestly I don't understand this. Why do we need the link to the last post , we can go to the last post by clicking the page numbers and seeing the date. Also in forums if we set accordingly , a user will see always see the last post of a thread if he logs in.

I honestly don't understand the advantages or differences here. Maybe I'm thinking of it from a different angle or am just not understanding it right. Sorry if this was a stupid question. Can someone explain a little better.
I agree that the process is depreciated in HTML5, <a name="..."> is an old tag now. But the standard process is targeting with id. You have to put something at the end to anchor it up. It is used for jumping to a certain location of a page. But the current system can be improved.

For HTML documents (and the text/html MIME type), the following processing model must be followed to determine what the indicated part of the document is.

Parse the URL, and let fragid be the <fragment> component of the URL.
If fragid is the empty string, then the indicated part of the document is the top of the document.
If there is an element in the DOM that has an ID exactly equal to fragid, then the first such element in tree order is the indicated part of the document; stop the algorithm here.
If there is an a element in the DOM that has a name attribute whose value is exactly equal to fragid, then the first such element in tree order is the indicated part of the document; stop the algorithm here.
Otherwise, there is no indicated part of the document.
@ stanjohn123, actually we need link to the first unread post of a topic on the index page.
if you link straight to the topic then the regular visitor has to use a couple of more clicks
and visit unwanted pages before reaching the required post

if you still want to have links similar to that forum then someone here can provide guidance
(2013-08-07, 11:50 AM)effone Wrote: [ -> ]I agree that the process is depreciated in HTML5, <a name="..."> is an old tag now. But the standard process is targeting with id. You have to put something at the end to anchor it up. It is used for jumping to a certain location of a page. But the current system can be improved.

For HTML documents (and the text/html MIME type), the following processing model must be followed to determine what the indicated part of the document is.

Parse the URL, and let fragid be the <fragment> component of the URL.
If fragid is the empty string, then the indicated part of the document is the top of the document.
If there is an element in the DOM that has an ID exactly equal to fragid, then the first such element in tree order is the indicated part of the document; stop the algorithm here.
If there is an a element in the DOM that has a name attribute whose value is exactly equal to fragid, then the first such element in tree order is the indicated part of the document; stop the algorithm here.
Otherwise, there is no indicated part of the document.

Can you tell the code to do this without breaking anything ?
Pages: 1 2