MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: XF vs IPB vs MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Afternoon all,

I am working on a project at work and building up a list of positives/negatives for a few different forum softwares. Now I am throwing them a wild card here with MyBB as they are insisting on a paid solution.

What I need to know is what benefits does MyBB have over XF and IPB.

Requirements are, can MyBB import PHPBB 3.x posts, users and such. Is there an official bridge to Wordpress or a 3rd party.

Will MyBB 1.8 be upgradable to 2.0?

I know for a fact that this community has great support unlike IPB in my opinion. However XF also seems to have a good edge over MyBB in terms of development and how fast it's moving and improving. Would love for someone to prove me wrong on this.

Cheers
MyBB can import phpBB 3.x data quite well. There is no official bridge to WP though. There is a third party one, but it's not great.

MyBB 1.8 will obviously be upgradeable to 2.0. There would be no point in 2.0 if it was not possible to upgrade.

XenForo is great though. It has a lot of great features and their community is really buzzing right now.
(2013-06-11, 02:35 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB can import phpBB 3.x data quite well. There is no official bridge to WP though. There is a third party one, but it's not great.

MyBB 1.8 will obviously be upgradeable to 2.0. There would be no point in 2.0 if it was not possible to upgrade.

XenForo is great though. It has a lot of great features and their community is really buzzing right now.

Would there be any reason to think of MyBB then since money is no issue against XF?
It comes down to personal preference entirely. Try out both and see which suits your requirements best and which feels most comfortable to use.
If money is no issue, then go for Xenforo. Although Euan is right and it's about preference etc, but I'm so convinced you'll prefer XF over any free software. XF vs IPB though is rather subjective; both are good, but I think IPB is too bloated and slow.
XF has a beautiful admin CP, however IPB seems to have more features. Creating mods for IPB seems much easier as well, though MyBB is even easier than both IPB and XF.

The thing is XF doesn't have thread ratings, which is a requirement.
You ask if you can migrate between PHPBB so I assume you have an existing forum / user-base? Look at both systems and ask your community which one they prefer. Better yet do a competition / prize reward for contributing their opinion? Drive some content from this Smile.

My personal opinion / vote would go to IPB, it is really thriving in innovative features and the community is great. XF and MyBB are however really great solutions and should work for the average user.

One advantage you have on MyBB vs IPB & XF is that it is open source so you can really do what you wish if you have the knowledge or someone with the knowledge.

(2013-06-11, 04:58 PM)Exze Wrote: [ -> ]The thing is XF doesn't have thread ratings, which is a requirement.

Whilst not available directly their are some 3rd party addons to achieve this:

(Post Ratings) http://xenforo.com/community/resources/p...10/updates & search the resource manager for one specific to just threads.
Honestly, it comes down to budget, desired features, support required, etc.

I believe all 3 systems have free phpbb 3.0 > MyBB conversion.

MyBB is by far, imo, the best solution for those with a budget of around $800 or less. For that amount, you can get an awesome skin, maybe a small plugin or so.

For $800+, either XenForo or IPB are great solutions. XenForo can be easily customized, but IPB has almost everything you need from the suite. Now you have to pay more for that, but you get more for your dollar. XenForo I find to be a little bit less expensive, and plugins and themes, like MyBB, are in my opinion much easier.

And as for 2.0, I think it'll be worth waiting for Wink
XenFOro is the best solution for all purposes.

MyBB is free but the best skin solutions still too much amateur look.You can use Xen or IPB by default. But Mybb is a sorrow.

But the the hope it´s last to die. Waiting for 2.0.
Re: IPB. If you go with it, I would wait till IPB4 comes out. It's looking rock solid with many great new features (responsive theme, new editor, new IPB framework utilising the best of modern PHP such as namespaces, jQuery rather than prototype and more). I just hope they do some optimisations to stop it feeling quite so sluggish (seriously, you'll struggle to run an IPB board of any decent size on a shared host - unlike MyBB or even XF).
Pages: 1 2 3 4