MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hidden Gender Specific forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2013-07-05, 01:15 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]iChick - on registration would be very hard to do; if you were to follow the suggestions made so far then you would have more of a chance to get something working.

1) The field cannot be changed from USERCP and is required on registration (will need a plugin)
2) By setting a post requirement (can even be one post) then you can use the promotions task to move them to the group (also requires a plugin)

1) what field?
2) what plugin?

Everyone is assuming I know things I don't, and can read their mind, when they are using being non specific.

I'm not a professional forum developer with intimate knowledge of Mybb and all of it's add ons, I'm a high school student, with no prior experience.

If I asked me how to build a nuclear reactor (not if I should, or what could go wrong if I did), would you say "that's a bad I dea because of radiation, you're better off burning coal. However , if you really want to do it, find some reactor parts and put them together, then put some radioactive stuff in it" Is that enough info to build a nuclear reactor? That's what the answers I'm getting sound like to me.
Quote:Everyone is assuming I know things I don't, and can read their mind, when they are using being non specific.

I'm not a professional forum developer with intimate knowledge of Mybb and all of it's add ons, I'm a high school student, with no prior experience.

In that case if we were specific in regards to what you needed to you, it would only confuse you. The plugin is hypothetical - it doesn't exist. If you want this functionality you'd either need to learn some basic PHP and MyBB's plugin system, or hire someone to develop it for you.
hello Nathan Malcolm .

Why your profile picture can change .. how?
(2013-07-05, 07:36 PM)iChick Wrote: [ -> ]If I asked me how to build a nuclear reactor (not if I should, or what could go wrong if I did), would you say "that's a bad I dea because of radiation, you're better off burning coal. However , if you really want to do it, find some reactor parts and put them together, then put some radioactive stuff in it" Is that enough info to build a nuclear reactor? That's what the answers I'm getting sound like to me.

If someone asked how to build a nuclear reactor in a specific way in which it would not fulfill its goal of generating energy, I would probably encourage them not to do it, yes.
Quote:If I asked me how to build a nuclear reactor (not if I should, or what could go wrong if I did), would you say "that's a bad I dea because of radiation, you're better off burning coal.

If that's the truth then yes. It's what I would say.
@iChick - my apologies - I thought that you would have been reading the replies to your topic and so I referenced the ongoing discussion in my reply.

Short answer: MyBB cannot do what you are asking for without a plugin.

You can request for one to be made, you will probably have to pay for it.
(2013-07-05, 09:09 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-05, 07:36 PM)iChick Wrote: [ -> ]If I asked me how to build a nuclear reactor (not if I should, or what could go wrong if I did), would you say "that's a bad I dea because of radiation, you're better off burning coal. However , if you really want to do it, find some reactor parts and put them together, then put some radioactive stuff in it" Is that enough info to build a nuclear reactor? That's what the answers I'm getting sound like to me.

If someone asked how to build a nuclear reactor in a specific way in which it would not fulfill its goal of generating energy, I would probably encourage them not to do it, yes.

In other wards you just assume that the goal for the reactor is to generate energy, and because you can't conceive of a different goal you, answer your assumption not the question.
As for making separate male and female forums. Did you register HERE under a different gender, in order to see if there might possibly be secret MyBB forums only for the person of the other gender? I would guess that you most likely didn't . Why didn't you? Because you had no reason to suspect that there would be. So why would anyone do it on my forums?

(2013-07-06, 04:02 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]@iChick - my apologies - I thought that you would have been reading the replies to your topic and so I referenced the ongoing discussion in my reply.

Short answer: MyBB cannot do what you are asking for without a plugin.

You can request for one to be made, you will probably have to pay for it.
Thank you for telling me that, the MyBB is incapable of doing what I'm trying to do.  Now I know not to waste any more of my time on it.

I installed Xenforo, and after importing my forums, it took me 5 minutes to set up the necessary gender groups and permissions. No add-ons needed.

Problem solved. Big Grin
It's not that MyBB is incapable of what you're after, it's that's it doesn't exist in the core. It likely would have cost you a lot less to request a plugin than to switch to a whole new platform.
(2013-07-07, 09:13 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It's not that MyBB is incapable of what you're after, it's that's it doesn't exist in the core. It likely would have cost you a lot less to request a plugin than to switch to a whole new platform.

how much less than $0 would it cost?
(2013-07-07, 10:05 PM)iChick Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-07, 09:13 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]It's not that MyBB is incapable of what you're after, it's that's it doesn't exist in the core. It likely would have cost you a lot less to request a plugin than to switch to a whole new platform.

how much less than $0 would it cost?

Assuming you didn't already have a Xenforo license, around $120-$130 less. Xenforo also has yearly fees for updates and support. Overall, using MyBB is cheaper especially for something as simple as checking for a profile field.
Pages: 1 2 3