MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Xenforo 1.2b5 with MyBB Importer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2013-07-15, 08:19 PM)FullMetalBabe Wrote: [ -> ]Last time I checked you have the option to use trophies, otherwise you can press a simple button for the post you liked and it will give the user rep. As also you can go into their profile and rep the user. The system to award trophies is just the equivalent of the awards plugin on MyBB.

I do have to say, if it was JUST based on money, Xenforo would have stopped working already, their development was delayed thanks to the lawsuit and MANY people outraged and switched to IPB or back to vB, Kier said it himself, while it's profiting - he also wants people to have a better forum software made for the community. What vB was supposed to be.

Okay, well, like I said I didn't use it in a while Toungue

But, I completely agree. I know XenForo had the lawsuit and may have more fees to pay because of it (such as legal fees). I am a huge fan of XenForo. I am not too sure if I can justify the whole "Making the community better thing", but if that is what Kier has in mind, then so be it and good for him Smile
<removed>
I honestly think it won't affect MyBB's market share dramatically. I'd estimate that around 70% of MyBB's market is made up of young teenage webmasters who can't afford to shell out (sometimes not even for hosting...). That isn't to say MyBB doesn't have power users such as Labrocca, Stefan etc.

XenForo caters to a completely different audience IMO. I'll be the first to admit it's an amazing piece of software. I've used it. I own a license. I love it. Would I use it for every single site I start? Hell no.

That isn't to say that I don't agree with some of the earlier stated points about MyBB. Ideally, 1.8 would be nearly stable by now (heck, the announcement stated we'd have something ready last year...). We'd have converters from most major forum systems that were up to date and stable (do we even have a vB4 converter that's stable yet even after vB5's release?). If the community don't try to assist via the means now available to them (GitHub) even if they are slightly sucky at times (two issue trackers with no clear documentation on procedure, proper code style or roadmap...) then development rate will be stuck at the same snails pace it's been for a while now.
(2013-07-15, 09:34 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Ideally, 1.8 would be nearly stable by now (heck, the announcement stated we'd have something ready last year...).
Yeeah... June was a hopeful alpha release last year... But that didn't happen Toungue.

Quote:We'd have converters from most major forum systems that were up to date and stable (do we even have a vB4 converter that's stable yet even after vB5's release?).
I'm almost surprised the merge system works much at all, given how long it's been since a major update. Maybe I should take a peek at the code and work on a module or two if I can figure it out well enough.
Quote:If the community don't try to assist via the means now available to them (GitHub) even if they are slightly sucky at times (two issue trackers with no clear documentation on procedure, proper code style or roadmap...) then development rate will be stuck at the same snails pace it's been for a while now.
MyBB needs a solid roadmap, IMO. Maybe even just having a Features tracker and a Bugs tracker on RedMine or tagging stuff on GitHub and adding more things as issues as the team works on them too. That would keep people up to speed more on what's happening, so that it's easier to contribute. Myself, I would probably be apt to contribute more if there was a more unified place to see things that need to be done and the people who are tackling that. Then I'd play around with the code more.

PS: Standards are at http://docs.mybb.com/Development_Standards.html Wink.
Yes, but those standards are outdated for 1.8 I believe and to put it bluntly, they suck. MyBB should adopt PSR in my opinion or at least PEAR. Or at least have dev standards checking before merging commits (and no, manual checking does not count).
(2013-07-16, 05:02 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but those standards are outdated for 1.8 I believe and to put it bluntly, they suck. MyBB should adopt PSR in my opinion or at least PEAR. Or at least have dev standards checking before merging commits (and no, manual checking does not count).

I agree with Euan. Having a good design framework is essential to any hope of future success.
Some basic things on MyBB must be made by hand or with a plugin.
With MyAlerts and Social Connections like Facebook and Twitter .. but still need Google - fastest growing social network and used by everyone in one way or another.

These are small things that might develop for those who are small but for use in various purposes are essential. Like themes too?

I intend to wait for version 1.8 if things continue as they are I will have to pay by XenForo which is my first choice.
It all comes down to personal preference, You can build your forum on MyBB import to Xenforo and Kill a community and vi-verse.

I have had multiple Xenforo license and I have had VB license and I have even had a few IPB license. I have also used AEF, PHPBB, SMF, Fluxbb, and some that are not even listed anywhere. I have used many many forum software.

After using paid and free software I always come back to MyBB, its the best software you can get that you will not have to pay a few hundred for not including plugins /addons. Premium themes will also cost you more, and I seemed not to be able to get the hang of making Xenforo mine, the coding is complicated to me.
Xenforo has the worst system for single-quoting and multi-quoting of all forum software out there. I'd pick MyBB over Xenforo even if Xenforo were free.
I would say XenForo all the way. A powerful forum software to use.
Pages: 1 2 3 4