MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Web Design
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all =) I've fallen, down on my luck, without employment. While I wait between jobs my interest in web dev has increased with my free time. But I've realized how much skill I lack in design. Does anyone have any useful links or resources where I can go hone my skills? I already know html and some css, though I'm not that good... =/

Thank you in advance. =)
I find that the best way to learn is to jump right into whatever you want to do and Google things when you run into problems or questions. If you're brand-new to it (and even if you aren't), use a pre-made template to edit and see how things go.
(2013-07-11, 02:47 PM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]I find that the best way to learn is to jump right into whatever you want to do and Google things when you run into problems or questions. If you're brand-new to it (and even if you aren't), use a pre-made template to edit and see how things go.

is how I've done my work thus far. But I want to be able to make from scratch. =)
If you like videos and don't mind spend a little cash I think teamtreehouse does a pretty good job of teaching things in depth.
I agree with Tecca. Start from scratch if you like, but the important things is to do. You will learn much more from actually coding/designing than you will from reading.

When you are knackered and need a break, doing some reading on the subject is always a good thing-- just saying that in my experience coming up with a project and seeing it through to completion is the best learning tool.

Of course, some of my projects never get finished or sit dormant for months because I hit a brick wall-- sometimes I solve this issue later and sometimes I don't . . . it is the road of the amateur :p
(2013-07-11, 10:53 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]If you like videos and don't mind spend a little cash I think teamtreehouse does a pretty good job of teaching things in depth.
I actually found them through youtube. I was about to ask, but since I see the endorsement, I'll definitely add them to my list. =) Thanks Netsage.

(2013-07-11, 11:02 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Tecca. Start from scratch if you like, but the important things is to do. You will learn much more from actually coding/designing than you will from reading.

When you are knackered and need a break, doing some reading on the subject is always a good thing-- just saying that in my experience coming up with a project and seeing it through to completion is the best learning tool.

Of course, some of my projects never get finished or sit dormant for months because I hit a brick wall-- sometimes I solve this issue later and sometimes I don't . . . it is the road of the amateur :p

Thank you all for your encouragement. =) I'm having a lot more fun this time around relearning design. But now I've come across a different issue: images.

Does anyone know where I can find good tutorials or video lessons on how to make logos or buttons or other images I may need for design?

Thank you again =)
(2013-07-11, 11:02 PM)Wildcard Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with Tecca. Start from scratch if you like, but the important things is to do. You will learn much more from actually coding/designing than you will from reading.

I agree completely. I learned all of my languages (Python, PHP, Java) through about 10 minutes of reading in total, and days of programming. Really just get your hands dirty with the programming language. My biggest tip I can give you: If you have never programmed before, never release something to the public unless you have programmed and are at least somewhat fluent with the language. The last thing you want is to have a program which has known vulnerabilities and you don't know how to fix them. However, rest assured, if you are just doing Html and CSS, you can release a website after starting as it really is all client side.

As for images, try using Gimp or Photoshop. Plan your design ahead of time (makes it way easier), and then just start piecing the design together. I can't give too much advice on Design because, frankly, I am horrible at design and will admit it Smile
I've been working on learning all I can from TeamTreeHouse.com before they make me pay next month. (I got one month off ;D) I realize I may not be that good at any of it, but I have been trying lately. I wanted to share one in particular with hopes to get some feedback from you guys:

http://elegant-totality.info/new

I know... =/ too blue? Anyway, I'll take all the help I can get. I don't quite understand colors just yet, but I've got most of the code down.
Well that's all you should really be concerned about starting out IMO. A nice design can come later clean code should come first. Because that's easy to turn into a nice design. It's not always so easy to turn a nice design into clean code.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you set your visited link color for menu's Wink. And, glad teamtreahouse is working for you Toungue. If anyone else want to try them I'll give a referral link Toungue. (just saves me some money)
Pages: 1 2