MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Downloads Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think there should be a small list of server requirements for the latest MyBB release on the MyBB downloads page (http://www.mybb.com/downloads). Such as PHP version and MySQL versions supported.

I know we have a Requirements document however it's not quite elaborated.
That's a good idea.
(2013-07-17, 08:42 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]I know we have a Requirements document however it's not quite elaborated.

As far as I can tell it shows everything you need. There are optional extensions such as mbstring and gd but MyBB can function without them.
(2013-07-18, 12:08 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-17, 08:42 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]I know we have a Requirements document however it's not quite elaborated.

As far as I can tell it shows everything you need. There are optional extensions such as mbstring and gd but MyBB can function without them.

Sure it does tell us what we need and optional extensions but it doesn't tell us exactly which MyBB version supports a certain type of coding language or MySQL version and so on. I just think it would be a better idea as a heads up on the downloads page with the exact latest versions supported so we know what versions are supported and if any host that uses a version above than provided in the downloads page, we would know what to do.

Like for example: Yesterday I came across a support thread about an illegal string error. I thought the person facing that error had a higher version of PHP on their host than the MyBB supports. I checked the MyBB requirements and it said anything higher than 5.1.0 or above with XML Extension installed should work but how I do know that the requirements document hasn't been updated after the latest release of PHP?

It's just something to take under consideration to help people better understand what their server requirements are in order to fully function MyBB without facing outdated or non-supported versions issue.
There are no known issues from PHP 5.1.0 up to PHP 5.5.0 (except one host with a modified PHP version).
MyBB supports PHP versions 5.1 to 5.5. We will update the docs if that changes (which it does for MyBB 1.8). It's easier to update the docs site than it is to update the main website as the person who performs the release process isn't a developer and may not know all the changes which come with each release. Any major changes are posted in the release blog post and updated accordingly.
(2013-07-18, 11:50 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB supports PHP versions 5.1 to 5.5. We will update the docs if that changes (which it does for MyBB 1.8). It's easier to update the docs site than it is to update the main website as the person who performs the release process isn't a developer and may not know all the changes which come with each release. Any major changes are posted in the release blog post and updated accordingly.

Oh then who updates the MyBB releases?
Tim Bell, one of our product managers.

http://community.mybb.com/user-8198.html
Oh OK but maybe in the docs, can you guys at least keep a minimum and maximum supported versions. For example: Currently it says anything above X.X.X, if it's changed to from X.X.X to X.X.X it would be more helpful.
What's the benefit of saying PHP up to 5.5.0 is supported? It's the latest PHP release and I doubt MyBB won't work with any PHP 5.5.x release.
Pages: 1 2