MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb needs these
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. Blog/wall for all users. here the users can post whats on their mind. post images, youtube videos and everyone Including said user can comment or like these stuff. other users can post anything on anyone's wall too. this will blow ipb out of the water

2. Make it default where the avatar of the last person that posted in the thread shows up in the forum list. (plugin is too complicated to install and who knows if we can trust all of these people with things they made. mankind is too corrupted to take chances installing plugins when they could easily add a virus into a plugin just for laughs or worse steal users data)

3. auto media post in threads. just copy youtube etc link and post in thread. no need to cod it (theres a plugin for this but its unreliable)

4. shoutbox and instant message (like cometchat) built in by default

5. username effects built in (glow, sparkles, fire effects) also set tags like you would with user title. eg if a user reaches 100 posts he gets a glow on his name automatically, 500 posts he gets fire effect automatically. these also should be adjustable by admins, let us predetermine how much post for what effect etc.
1. MyBB is forum software. It will never include a blog.

4. MyBB will never include a shoutbox. It defeats the point of a forum.

5. You can already do this with group promotions. http://www.mybb.com/features/promotions
2, if done right, would look nice. The only problem with it is in really small or inactive forums (such as mine which I'm in the process of discontinuing/replacing), there could be tons and tons of the same avatar on one page and it looks tacky in that case.

3 would be an all-around good idea, IMO.

@Nathan -- couldn't the parser be hacked a bit in 1.6/1.8 to replace a youtube link with the video MyCode? If I can get my regex skills (or lack of) together, I could create a pull for it. Find "http://youtube.com/watch?([A-Za-z0-9]+)" and replace with "[video=youtube]url....[/video]"
who used threaded mode when viewing a forum? this is useless and needs not to be in the default setup.
(2013-08-09, 01:13 AM)xekuter50 Wrote: [ -> ]who used threaded mode when viewing a forum? this is useless and needs not to be in the default setup.

I'm pretty sure it's already confirmed to be out of 2.0.
also themes needs to be installed much more simple. it should be a 2 step thing (upload theme folder and then activate) instead of the current 3 steps (upload theme folder, import xml file, activate) or even be more ambitious why cant we upload the rar with them theme files and then activate them without the need for ftp?
To install MyBB you need FTP. And if you allow FTP for anything besides images from admincp you seriously risk exploit. I know lots of script are taking that approach but I feel it's more to cater to to idiots and not technically improve their software.

To me it sounds like OP is not a very sophisticated admin and is requesting MyBB make changes that would cater to a lower class of webmaster (loosely used term).
i wont even stoop to your level my friend. i dont see why the disrespect is necessary. i guess this is the definition of internet thugs. get placed on my ignore list! some of you people who have all this knowledge about being a web admin and installing and maintaining websites would like if no one else figured out how to do all this stuff. like so what if we find ways of doing stuff ourselves so we dont have to pay thousands of dollars to a "pro". i once read somewhere that "You can't hold a man down without staying down with him"

i mean isnt this what mybb is? a free open script that people can install and maintain their own website. wordpress is used by hundreds of mega companies and it allows us to install themes in the zip files. this saves a lot of time. especially for someone who is always trying out new themes. last night i installed at least 20 themes on my forum trying to get the perfect fit and it felt like a chore haviung to do the 3 step i mentioned earlier. at one point i wish i could just upload all the theme folders and leave it and then come back without having to endure all of that.

just a bit of info you might need. nothing lasts forever for im sure if you get terminally ill and/or faced with imminent death all your "webmastery knowledge" wouldn't mean anything at all to you. cherish life my friend and pray and thank GOD for all your blessings for we all will face judgement one day. both Big and small, rich and poor, wise and simple. its what in your heart that will matter, not how smart you are.

arrogance :smh: tsk tsk tsk
Honestly, MyBB isn't much like WordPress. WordPress is primarily used for personal blogs. In that case, when you are aiming for the normal person as your core audience, it makes sense to hold their hand along a bit and reduce direct FTP usage.

However, forums don't tend to be like that. Generally they're started up to last a while and be used by as large of an audience as possible. In that scenario, it makes more sense, IMO, for the admin to get acquainted with performing the most basic administrative tasks and using the sometimes less easy-to-use tools. Uploading a theme really isn't that bad, and I've uploaded around 10 in an hour before, so I know what you're referring to. Upload ZIP to server, unzip on the server (via cPanel or SSH), and upload the XML file from your computer.
Third suggestion is a good idea.
I also agree with that point. Smile
Pages: 1 2