MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can I find the root to upload PHP for plugin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After many searches I cannot find a way to access the ROOT to upload the PHP file for a plugin. Using the latest version of MyBB. Under the plugin section there is no option for uploading.

Where can I find the place where the root is located?

Thanks,

Results from a search:

In order to install a plugin for MyBB there are 2 two general things you should do. Upload the plugin, then activate it from the administrator backend. Please note that different plugins may need you to make additional modifications. This will be included in the plugin documentation provided by the author.

Here are step-by-step instructions how to install a new plugin for MyBB:

Step 1 Upload the plugin file (the file format will be something like: pluginname.php) to inc/plugins/ folder located under the root of your MyBB installation. Note that it is imperative not to change the file name.

Step 2 Log in to your Admin CP and click on "Plugin Manager" in the Settings category of the menu.

Step 3 Click "Activate"for the plugin you have uploaded.

Step 4 In case everything is in order, you will be redirected to the plugin manager and the button for the plugin will change to "Deactivate. You can use it to stop the plugin from working on your MyBB installation.
The forum root is the directory you uploaded MyBB to.
I do not have my own server. Use MAIAhost for the MyBB forum. The way I read your instructions is that my hosting service will have to obtain the download file, unzip it and upload it to the "root" directory. I do not see anywhere on the Dashboard where the directory is located. Am I correct in this assessment?

Sent a help request to MAIAhost for clarification on their end. They have no tech service on the weekend.

Please provide more detail instructions if I have it all wrong.

Thanks,

(2013-08-11, 12:54 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]The forum root is the directory you uploaded MyBB to.
Do you have ftp details just login using details and ftp client and there is public_html open it and you so many files thats your forum root
While I have used FTP on other services in the past. The configuration with Maiahost goes not require any FTP interface from my end. All I do is loging to MyBB and go to the dashboard.

This info is helpful when I get in touch with tech service tomorrow at Maiahost.

(2013-08-11, 04:18 PM)New2mybb Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have ftp details just login using details and ftp client and there is public_html open it and you so many files thats your forum root
For installing themes and plugins you must have to use ftp logging in mybb acp and dashboard is next thing
or use filemanegar from your host cpanel
OK, I found a section in the Maiahost account to access the cPanel

Found the file manager Uploaded rssfeedposter ( looks like the file is unzipped) Confirm rssfeedposter PHP is in the public_html folder.

Nothing changed in the MyBB dashboard. Nothing new appears under plugins folder.

What is next? Or what am I doing wrong?

I am assuming that if the rssfeedposter files is working, a new plugin should appear in the MySS dashboard.

Am I correct?

(2013-08-11, 06:20 PM)New2mybb Wrote: [ -> ]For installing themes and plugins you must have to use ftp logging in mybb acp and dashboard is next thing
or use filemanegar from your host cpanel
If it was a plugin then it should have been uploaded to .inc/plugins
The folder needed to be named .incplugins (would not accept .inc/plugins)

Uploaded rssfeedposter.php into the folder /home/forumbat/.incplugins

Nothing changed in dashboad on MyBB.

What next? Again it looks like the rssfeedposter.php is extracted from the zip.

Sorry for being such a pest, just don't have the drill down yet. However, making progress because of all the help.

(2013-08-11, 09:41 PM)Arbaz Wrote: [ -> ]If it was a plugin then it should have been uploaded to .inc/plugins
Arbaz means ./inc/plugins/

./ put simply is your forum root.

Example:

/home/forumbat/ - Forum root.
/home/forumbat/inc/ - Subdirectory of your forum root.
/home/forumbat/inc/plugins/ - Subdirectory of the ./inc/ directory.

/home/forumbat/inc/plugins/ is where you need to upload the plugin file.
Pages: 1 2