MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: NodeBB - Node.js powered forum software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
[Image: nodebb-logo.png]

Just found this new open source forum software project powered by Node.js which really impressed me, of course it's a early development version but damn... it's so fast!

What do you think of it and Node as a platform for next gen community's?
It seems pretty nice although I'm not sure I'd ever want to use a fully node-powered application for a website, to me Node.js feels a bit like running PHP or Rails internal server - its great for developing off but I'd never run an actual site from it (although I have used it for a couple of single-purpose/single-page things before).

I do very much like how it functions as a single-page kind of thing, its probably part of what keeps it feeling fast, and the infinite scroll is something I quite like too.

I do not like how it uses Redis as its main datastore, I don't think I'd ever want to use Redis as anything other than an in-memory cache for data that can be rebuilt from elsewhere. Server went down? There go the last N minutes worth of posts!
I once thought about creating a forum software with Express, sequelize and socket.io. Never had time or much motivation to continue it.

Seems like a great project. And as Cameron said Redis shouldn't be your only choice.
Looks like a great idea. I'm not 100% set on the theme, but the concept is great for certain. They still have a few rough edges to work out, but that's to be expected. It's certainly miles ahead of MyBB is - though even phpBB is right now.
very nice one, i like it, simple things many times are better than complicated ones, in this case for a forum, to many options and features flood the user and make him tired, look at the last vbuletin, they created so many things on it that make it sick just browsing, u get tired when u want to register on this super worked cms's, option here, option there, java script here, sofisticated login, etc, etc, they dont understand that u have to stop at one point
Really the only difference with it is the *one page* feel.
Quote:Looks like a great idea. I'm not 100% set on the theme, but the concept is great for certain. They still have a few rough edges to work out, but that's to be expected. It's certainly miles ahead of MyBB is - though even phpBB is right now.

In what way do you consider this. I would like to state, just to avoid confusion, that I ask, having very little knowledge of phpBB and I am genuinely interested, purely to make sure we can compete.
It looks pretty good design wise, although there are a few things I would change. I like the overall layout and format of things though. It seems like a forum software and somewhat of a social networking software combined (and stripped down).
(2013-10-18, 04:11 AM)Jitendra M Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Looks like a great idea. I'm not 100% set on the theme, but the concept is great for certain. They still have a few rough edges to work out, but that's to be expected. It's certainly miles ahead of MyBB is - though even phpBB is right now.

In what way do you consider this. I would like to state, just to avoid confusion, that I ask, having very little knowledge of phpBB and I am genuinely interested, purely to make sure we can compete.

3.1 has now entered alpha release and brings with it a lot of exciting new features as well as starting their move to a Symfony codebase. They've moved to Twig for templates fully, support Gravatars as core, have a fully fledged plugin system (at last, they're late to the game here - we beat them by several years). They also have OAuth login, notifications and more. Here's a Wiki page of notable changes: https://wiki.phpbb.com/Release_Highlights/3.1.0-a1

A lot of their new core features won't be seen in MyBB until 2.0, which is (as we all know) several years away. I can see phpBB regaining a lot of their market share back in that time.

As for NodeBB, they're only ahead in terms of the fact they have a modern codebase and their development rate seems to be much faster. They're still lacking a ton of features it seems and I'm not a fan of the interface.
(2013-10-18, 03:04 AM)MobileMod Wrote: [ -> ]Really the only difference with it is the *one page* feel.

wow.

This is entirely different than anything that was done previously - from it's core. Most forum software is programmed using PHP, some newer projects (like Discourse) use Ruby On Rails; but NodeBB uses Node.js.
Performance beasts like Soundcloud are made with it.

It kinda hurt's me when you say it's just a single page layout.
This is how good web applications are made in 2013.

Guys I think you shouldn't focus on the interface (design) so much when judging this, considering this is only a few months in development.
As a designer I don't care anyway because I want to break the default template layout anyway Big Grin
If I would care MyBB was the last forum I'd use. Wink

There's not a single resource out yet and it's obviously far from being polished.
They're probably still in the planning stage and stuff changes on the daily bases, but looking at the development and what they achieved so far - is rather impressive (to me).
Fastest board, I ever came across.
And that's what I'm personally impressed with, it feels so right - browsing is amazing and everywhere something happens, it updates right in front of you. Ajax by nature. ^^
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6