MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Force everyone to use Classic layout?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone

I would like all of my users to use "Classic" layout instead of "Horizontal" layout (or if I can't force them, then at least I want that to be their default setting). How can I accomplish that?

Thanks
Samuel
edit: delayed response

simple method is to set the classic layout in the admin panel (showthread options) and install & activate force postbit layout plugin
Go to SQL section and insert this rule
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `classicpostbit` = '1' WHERE `classicpostbit` = '0'
(2013-10-18, 11:14 AM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]http://community.mybb.com/thread-40093.html

Thanks, Matt. Do I understand correctly that I don't need to run the SQL command if I only want future members to be forced to use the layout (i.e. if I don't care about current members, or if there are still so few current users that I can switch them all manually before editing the template)?

Samuel
^ using force postbit layout plugin should be easy!
(2013-10-18, 12:20 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ using force postbit layout plugin should be easy!

Thanks, Agent M Big Grin, I'll give the plugin a go as well, but the answer to my question would teach me something about how myBB and SQL works that I would not learn from just installing the plugin.

Samuel
(2013-10-18, 12:13 PM)ugcheleuce Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-10-18, 11:14 AM)Matt. Wrote: [ -> ]http://community.mybb.com/thread-40093.html

Thanks, Matt. Do I understand correctly that I don't need to run the SQL command if I only want future members to be forced to use the layout (i.e. if I don't care about current members, or if there are still so few current users that I can switch them all manually before editing the template)?

Samuel

Correct; the setting in the Admin CP will be what guests and new users use, the SQL query will just force a setting change for existing users if desired.
@OP, as you might be knowing, postbit layout is a admin panel setting as well as a user option.
user option overrides admin panel setting. template edit removes user option and SQL query works
for all current users. as new users do not have the option to select postbit layout, admin panel
setting takes care of it for them.
(2013-10-18, 12:33 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]user option overrides admin panel setting.

Bummer. So I'm not a god after all. :-)

Quote:template edit removes user option...

Well, that's exactly what I thought tonight -- I can simply make a backup of the postbit template, and then copy/paste the content from the postbit_classic template into the postbit template, and then it won't matter what the user chooses. Right? Or is there some kind of reason why this would be a bad idea?
Pages: 1 2