MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: These kitchen spammers are getting old..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I imagine there is a simple fix.. Who talks about kitchens here? No one. Those are the cold hard facts: http://community.mybb.com/search.php?act...order=desc

Couldn't Spamalyser be implemented here to get rid of these? I feel it makes MyBB look unprofessional, why would someone use a forum software that has spam issues on their community forums? IMO, any threads mentioning a few key words in the same thread "kitchen,sale,offer,free" should be automatically unapproved.
Sale, offer, and free can't be blacklisted I would use two to describe mybb. And, kitchen can come up randomly in discussion I'm sure.
It could go off a number of other things. I don't mean blacklisted, rather a spam weighting system (like spamalyser) to fight these spammers off.
(2013-10-23, 02:40 AM)Rymax99 Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine there is a simple fix.. Who talks about kitchens here? No one. Those are the cold hard facts: http://community.mybb.com/search.php?act...order=desc

Can't Spamalyser be implemented here to get rid of these? I feel it makes MyBB look unprofessional, why would someone use a forum software that has spam issues on their community forums? IMO, any threads mentioning a few key words in the same thread "kitchen,sale,offer,free" should be automatically unapproved.

My feelings exactly.
I agree, it would definitely be nice if MyBB integrated more anti-spam features into the core package. Forum spam is an issue that faces pretty much any forum software out there that is actually popular. PhpBB and SMF can get hit pretty hard with it too.

There are some decent plugins out there though. 90% of the spam is blocked on my forum with the registration security question plugin (not using the default questions). I've also heard that askimet and this plugin do a good job blocking spam.
Out of curiosity, is Stop Forum Spam in use by MyBB? I agree that not all spam can be blocked, and that all forum software has spam, but I feel that there isn't much being done to get rid of it here.
As for integrating more anti-spam features into the core package, MyBB 1.8 will include what we call "Spam Ninja". Originally planned to be a plugin for 1.6, Spam Ninja includes a ton of anti-spam features (one of which was written by myself Sleepy )

On MyBB we use several anti-spam plugins but I am guessing kitchen spammers are human and thus harder to deal with. We do use Goodbye Spammer, so as soon as we see one, KABOOM... he's gone. Just report the posts and we'll take care of it Smile
(2013-10-23, 02:42 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]As for integrating more anti-spam features into the core package, MyBB 1.8 will include what we call "Spam Ninja". Originally planned to be a plugin for 1.6, Spam Ninja includes a ton of anti-spam features (one of which was written by myself Sleepy )

On MyBB we use several anti-spam plugins but I am guessing kitchen spammers are human and thus harder to deal with. We do use Goodbye Spammer, so as soon as we see one, KABOOM... he's gone. Just report the posts and we'll take care of it Smile
Great to hear. I'll be waiting :d
(2013-10-23, 02:20 PM)Darth Apple Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, it would definitely be nice if MyBB integrated more anti-spam features into the core package. Forum spam is an issue that faces pretty much any forum software out there that is actually popular. PhpBB and SMF can get hit pretty hard with it too.

There are some decent plugins out there though. 90% of the spam is blocked on my forum with the registration security question plugin (not using the default questions). I've also heard that askimet and this plugin do a good job blocking spam.

The security questions completely blocked all spam for me. I might as well just get rid of the captcha since it didn't really work.
I personally like the kitchen posts. It really spices the joint up. Waiting for one to post up some counter tops and decent back splash tiles. I think these guys specialize in appliances though...
Pages: 1 2