MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Freedom of speech
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
What is freedom of speech?

Is freedom of speech a right or a privilege?

Why are some opinions permitted and others seen as unacceptable?

What is the definition of fair play as it relates to freedom of expression?

When does censorship go too far?

These are questions I am asking myself now.

What do you think?
I know Puppyite is banned/suspended... But I guess I'll just post in case someone else is wondering.
Freedom of Speech is in the First Amendment of the United States constitution. It gives you the right to speak out about the government as you wish and protest as long as you do so reasonably.

This amendment does not give you a right to say anything you want anywhere. Private places (such as a forum) can revoke that right from you talking/posting in a place they control as they see fit.

This said... The right does to a degree extend further. You can give opinions on people and companies as long as you do so responsibly.

However, the point is, a person or group's place, be in on the web, or a physical place, can be moderated as seen fit. That's not censoring. It's keeping on topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_...ted_States
Freedom of speech is an amendment of the US constitution that many American citizens have not only misconstrued as they see fit – that their ideas and opinions are immune to criticism, or they can say whatever, where-ever and suffer no consequences – but also mistakenly believe it's an inalienable human right in every country. :')

Quote:Under Australian law, the only protected form of speech is that of a political nature, and even then, it's only protected from governmental interference. Private entities can not, by definition, be guilty of censorship. Whirlpool is a private web site – owned and operated by an individual.

In short, you have no "freedom of speech" on Whirlpool (or any private site, like MyBB), nor is the cry of "censorship" at all valid.
As said freedom of speech has nothing to do with private entities. Just like a restaurant can throw you out a website can ban you.
But to ban a user for expressing his beliefs is somewhat ludicrous, no matter the policies on the website... The thread was right to be closed, possibly deleted, but the banning of the user is not IMHO.
(2013-10-24, 12:19 AM)Riad C. Wrote: [ -> ]But to ban a user for expressing his beliefs is somewhat ludicrous, no matter the policies on the website... The thread was right to be closed, possibly deleted, but the banning of the user is not IMHO.

You don't know, nor do you have the right to know, why the user was banned. It is likely that he thumbbed a community team member and was thereafter banned. No censorship at all.
(2013-10-24, 12:19 AM)Riad C. Wrote: [ -> ]But to ban a user for expressing his beliefs is somewhat ludicrous, no matter the policies on the website... The thread was right to be closed, possibly deleted, but the banning of the user is not IMHO.

I was speaking in general not about him in particular. If you must know his banning was a result of more than one thread(and it's only temporary). However I wouldn't be surprised to see both our comments cleaned up out of this thread Toungue.
Freedom of speech is okay as long as you don't hurt anyone's feelings.

The real definition.
Freedom of speech is exploited when conversation is uncivil. There is always some degree of freedom of speech afforded on a forum. imho, you violate your own right to freedom of speech when you attempt to defame someone. For instance, if I revealed here that uvw staff member partook in xyz activity, and the staff member took it as an attempt at defamation, then of course I could be banned. It's not censorship if it's justified.

Quote:Subject to section 4 (essentially: everybody has the right freedom of speech) of this Bill of Rights, the rights and freedoms contained in this Bill of Rights may be subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.
http://www.hrc.co.nz/report/chapters/cha...ion01.html

In New Zealand, reasonable limits apply to freedom of speech. "Several pieces of legislation, aimed at promoting racial harmony, defending public morals, enhancing social responsibility, protecting children, and protecting individual privacy and reputation, limit the scope of freedom of expression in New Zealand."

Finally, of course, punishment should be proportionate to the offence committed. For example, execution since I criticized a politician is ridiculous. A sledgehammer should not be used to crack a nut.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5