MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: VPS Hosting Options: HHD vs SSD vs RAM vs CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With price differences between these options not being a factor, which VPS options should provide the best performance for a new MyBB forum? This is to help me decide which VPS plan to choose at rosehosting.com.

Thank you for voting!

HHD is a RAID drive, older technology.
SSD is a newer solid state drive.
Each CPU Core is equal with each option.
i run 6 sites on your first option. why spend money on hardware you will never need. its easier to upgrade when you need than to try to get the wasted money back from the host for resources you paid for but never used.
(2013-12-09, 08:46 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]i run 6 sites on your first option. why spend money on hardware you will never need. its easier to upgrade when you need than to try to get the wasted money back from the host for resources you paid for but never used.

Thanks for replying, and good to see you're on staff.

I'm wanting opinions on which option should have the best performance, with the price difference not being a factor. I will edit my first post.
The SSD would perform better, but SSDs can be expensive in the long run.

I take it you'll be using Linux of some sort?
As someone who spends way too much on hosting per year, and really should not speak... I will completely agree with Pavemen on this one. Unless you actually need the system resources, just go with the lowest plan and upgrade as required. The nice thing with VPSs is that they can easily be upgraded by the host, and therefore by yourself.

If you are not completely dedicated and have to stay with the host provided, you can try looking up some deals at http://lowendbox.com/ - Just make sure the actual providers are reputable (most should be though considering you have to be in business for a year in order to get on that site).

Some great providers voted by the community would be http://lowendbox.com/blog/top-providers-...e-results/

Ramnode is my favourite, and I have used them even before they were voted to #1. I believe they have SSD VPSs as well.
(2013-12-09, 11:22 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]The SSD would perform better, but SSDs can be expensive in the long run.

I take it you'll be using Linux of some sort?

Yes, SSD performs better and is more expensive than HHD.

CentOS

So if the SSD option in the poll is the better performer, how much more CPU / RAM would be needed with an HDD option to then be faster than the SSD option? Price differences not being a factor.

I ask because rosehosting also offers the option to customize the number of CPU cores and RAM quantity.

(2013-12-09, 11:33 PM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who spends way too much on hosting per year, and really should not speak... I will completely agree with Pavemen on this one. Unless you actually need the system resources, just go with the lowest plan and upgrade as required. The nice thing with VPSs is that they can easily be upgraded by the host, and therefore by yourself.

If you are not completely dedicated and have to stay with the host provided, you can try looking up some deals at http://lowendbox.com/ - Just make sure the actual providers are reputable (most should be though considering you have to be in business for a year in order to get on that site).

Some great providers voted by the community would be http://lowendbox.com/blog/top-providers-...e-results/

Ramnode is my favourite, and I have used them even before they were voted to #1. I believe they have SSD VPSs as well.

Nothing wrong with Pavemen's advice.

But what I'm trying to get a better feel for / understanding (without consideration of price differences) is how these variables (HHD, SSD, RAM, CPU) combine for better performance for hosting a forum.

I'm past looking for a host; rosehosting will be my next host.
(2013-12-09, 11:48 PM)BR549 Wrote: [ -> ]But what I'm trying to get a better feel for / understanding (without consideration of price differences) is how these variables (HHD, SSD, RAM, CPU) combine for better performance for hosting a forum.

I'm past looking for a host; rosehosting will be my next host.

In all honesty, unless you're getting a huge amount of traffic you won't really notice that much of a difference.

Prioritization wise, It'd probably be better to just choose anything and start working on your forum's content and getting members, than the time spent on determining the host. You will switch hosts more than once if your website becomes somewhat popular, so while choosing a host may be important, the actual plan of the host should be a simple choice and not take much time.

Just my two cents, like I said. For me, I would take the lowest possible price that would still function for the forum and would be reliable. It's true, you get what you pay for. But sometimes you don't need what you actually get. The money might be better spent elsewhere on advertising and/or marketing of the forum itself.

By the way I was in agreement with what Pavemen said, not disagreement.
(2013-12-10, 12:33 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]In all honesty, unless you're getting a huge amount of traffic you won't really notice that much of a difference.
That's good to know. So then, if there is a huge amount of traffic, which set of options would perform best with a forum?

(2013-12-10, 12:33 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]Prioritization wise, It'd probably be better to just choose anything and start working on your forum's content and getting members, than the time spent on determining the host. You will switch hosts more than once if your website becomes somewhat popular, so while choosing a host may be important, the actual plan of the host should be a simple choice and not take much time.

Just my two cents, like I said. For me, I would take the lowest possible price that would still function for the forum and would be reliable. It's true, you get what you pay for. But sometimes you don't need what you actually get. The money might be better spent elsewhere on advertising and/or marketing of the forum itself.
This would be OK for many, but the price differential between these plans is not a consideration; and all other costs and time considerations are within budget / planning.

(2013-12-10, 12:33 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]By the way I was in agreement with what Pavemen said, not disagreement.
Right, no (one) has disagreed with what Pavemen posted.
Why get a VPS at all for a new forum? Why not just used quality shared hosting?
(2013-12-10, 12:57 AM)BR549 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-12-10, 12:33 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]In all honesty, unless you're getting a huge amount of traffic you won't really notice that much of a difference.
That's good to know. So then, if there is a huge amount of traffic, which set of options would perform best with a forum?

(2013-12-10, 12:33 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]Prioritization wise, It'd probably be better to just choose anything and start working on your forum's content and getting members, than the time spent on determining the host. You will switch hosts more than once if your website becomes somewhat popular, so while choosing a host may be important, the actual plan of the host should be a simple choice and not take much time.

This would be OK for many, but the price differential between these plans is not a consideration; and all other costs and time considerations are within budget / planning.

(2013-12-10, 12:33 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]By the way I was in agreement with what Pavemen said, not disagreement.
Right, no has disagreed with what Pavemen posted.

I used to do a lot of what you're doing. Planning for the future isn't necessarily a bad thing. Planning and optimizing so that if, in the future, the websites need to scale, is also a good thing.

However, the major factor in scaling websites, is that there is really no sure-fire way to scale a website. I may not be the perfect example, and someone who has the necessary right to talk about scaling websites when I myself have never really had to scale one to the extreme. However, through the studies I have done on the certain subject, and the thoughts and opinions provided by those who have... You kind of the get assumption that there is no "How to scale a website", because every website By definition, has to scale differently.

The approach I usually take when looking towards the future with websites is...

"Give the website the opportunity to scale. Give it the correct availability to scale if need be. However, don't base the entire website's original platform, and how you create it, based off something that MAY NOT come to reality, and something that is bound to change in the future regardless."

In simple terms, Basically what I'm saying here is to stop focusing on scaling the website, and making sure it will scale, when you actually should be focusing on getting the website off the ground first.

On other note, I understand the pricing is not in consideration. Doesn't mean it should not be. In a sense, when you start a website, at least in my opinion, every penny counts; because that $5 a month you may spend extra on a server every month, could do a lot when added up and contributed to advertising.

TL;DR: It's okay to plan for the ability to scale; but don't let it affect the way your website is created in the first place to an extreme.

Choose a host that is cheap and will work for your website. See if your website becomes popular and profitable, and scale from then on in.

In a sense, with all due respect to the forum community, there have only really been 1 or 2 forums currently running who probably would have actually had to hire people and scale it commercially. Those forums probably and most likely started off not worrying about scaling.

Scale when you have the members, Focus on content before then.

END OF HUGE RANT Smile
Pages: 1 2 3