MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Website being spammed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,
I'm currently getting a lot of signups with invalid e-mail adresses. The spammers are using fake e-mail adresses with my own domain (yteditors.tk). They're filling up my databases if I don't keep cleaning these spammers up!Angry

Are there any ways to prevent people signing up with e-mail adresses from my domain?

Thank you!
If you go to users & groups > banning > disallow e-mails then you can add your domain: yteditors.tk* as a wildcard.
Smile
(2014-01-15, 11:30 AM)PinkStar Wrote: [ -> ]If you go to users & groups > banning > disallow e-mails then you can add your domain: yteditors.tk* as a wildcard.
Smile

That should actually be *@yteditors.tk
thanx

MikeInToshx

Plugins that also might help against bots are StopForumSpam and Registration Security Question
(2014-01-15, 02:08 PM)MikeInToshx Wrote: [ -> ]Plugins that also might help against bots are StopForumSpam and Registration Security Question

Ehm, you do know security questions won't work take that from a person who has written game bots to spam bots for fun.
(2014-01-17, 04:35 PM)Rakes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-15, 02:08 PM)MikeInToshx Wrote: [ -> ]Plugins that also might help against bots are StopForumSpam and Registration Security Question

Ehm, you do know security questions won't work take that from a person who has written game bots to spam bots for fun.

It depends on what the questions and answers are. Mathematical questions (What is 1+1?) are usually a bad idea, but niche specific questions (How many seasons of Dexter were made?) can help prevent spam quite well.

If you know a little PHP you could also modify the script to serve an image instead of the plain text question. I've found that works well for all bots.

MikeInToshx

Well since I have those plugins I haven't had a single bot that registered, so I assume it does work though.
Thank y'all for answering my question! Really appreciate it!
(2014-01-17, 04:50 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-17, 04:35 PM)Rakes Wrote: [ -> ]

It depends on what the questions and answers are. Mathematical questions (What is 1+1?) are usually a bad idea, but niche specific questions (How many seasons of Dexter were made?) can help prevent spam quite well.

If you know a little PHP you could also modify the script to serve an image instead of the plain text question. I've found that works well for all bots.
Well there's still a problem there, you can always just get the questions manually and push them into a bot, thus it'll still get past it
Pages: 1 2