MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: phpBB 3.1 thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I know phpBB is kind of the enemy here at MyBB, but I wondered if anybody else has been following their development? They've got some extremely interesting things going on with phpBB 3.1 (which recently hit the alpha 3 milestone). A quick rundown of some of the new stuff:
  • Minimum PHP requirement of PHP 5.3.3 - MyBB maintains compatibility with 5.2 and will retain that same compatibility for MyBB 1.8.
  • Use of Composer as a PHP dependancy manager - may increase compelxity of installation procedure, but that remains to be seen. Not sure how they plan to handle this.
  • Responsive front-end/ACP design.
  • Command line interface for common tasks.
  • Plugin hook system - no more manual edits for their plugin/mod system
  • Autoloading of classes & class naming system

I always find it interesting to keep track of the direction that competitors are moving in. What do others think about some of the new features/changes in phpBB? What do you think the future holds?
I check them constantly. I like the fact that they added a few features rather now than later, such as the alerts system and I also like the new uploading library.
I always had in the back of my mind a command line interface for MyBB, working through MyBBIntegrator.
I follow it very closely and I was pretty excited by it and even switching over to it from MyBB. Until I tried doing any customization and realized that their code was still bleh and old fashioned.

They have some really cool features. But I think they need a rewrite.
They will do a rewrite using Symfony.
I haven't really followed them all that much, but it looks like a nice update. I'm surprised it took them this long to implement a plugin system.
(2014-02-13, 11:38 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]I follow it very closely and I was pretty excited by it and even switching over to it from MyBB. Until I tried doing any customization and realized that their code was still bleh and old fashioned.

They have some really cool features. But I think they need a rewrite.

(2014-02-13, 11:51 PM)Kaeden Wrote: [ -> ]They will do a rewrite using Symfony.

Yeah, isn't 4.0 basically the same idea as our 2.0 - a full rewrite but using Symfony.

Really I think they need to look at the theme sooner rather than later. I've never been a fan of it, and it would probably be a good time to change it.

(2014-02-13, 10:42 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]I always had in the back of my mind a command line interface for MyBB, working through MyBBIntegrator.

Interesting. I've been planning a modernized version of MyBBIntegrator possibly along with a Laravel authentication bridge.
The race is on, boys.
(2014-02-14, 09:45 AM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]The race is on, boys.

Yup
It sounds like MyBB will have to make 2.0 highly impressive otherwise, people might start jumping over to phpBB as it has a larger base of resources and is starting to match MyBB features like the hook system.

(2014-02-13, 10:26 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Minimum PHP requirement of PHP 5.3.3 - MyBB maintains compatibility with 5.2 and will retain that same compatibility for MyBB 1.8.
PHP 5.2 would probably be completely irrelevant by the time that MyBB 2.0 comes out, so targeting PHP 5.3 would be a better idea, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4